any ideas on protein

lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 9/15/11 8:22 am - MO
Ok here's my issue, all the protein shakes I've tried I have a hard time choking them down. It gotten to the point to where I cant even get past the smell to choke them down. Ive maybe gotten in 15 grams yesterday and maybe 10 grams today. I don't know what to do and I don't want to get sick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Samantha L.
on 9/15/11 8:31 am - Petaluma, CA
I'm with you.  I had a really hard time getting past the rotting milk taste/smell of protein.  Thanks to Nik, I found PB2 which, when added to my protein shakes seemed to either overpower the smell/taste of the protein or maybe it just neutralizes it somehow. 

I use Body Fortress (either the chocolate, the cookies n cream or the vanilla), I add 1/4 to 1/2 of a banana, an ice cube, some peanut butter (PB2 if I have it, regular peanut butter if I don't), sometimes a tiny bit of instant coffee (it brings out the chocolate flavor, but makes it less SWEET.. so more like dark chocolate), sometimes a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder and almond or soy milk (just a flavor preference).  Then I blend.  Yummy!

The sweetness really gets to me, so I just received my samples of Unjury's chicken soup protein powder, which I plan to try for lunch today. 

Good luck!

poet_kelly
on 9/15/11 8:50 am - OH
Tell us what brands you've tried and how you fixed them.

Have you tried the ready to drink clear drinks like Isopure and Cytosport?  Have you tried making the shakes with skim milk in the blender with a handful of ice (makes it more like a milkshake)?  Have you tried making hot protein drinks (hot chocolate, coffee drinks, etc)?  Have you tried the Unjury chicken soup?

Have you tried drinking them from a cup with a lid so you can't smell them so much?

What kinds of stuff are you eating right now?  Greek yogurt?  Cottage cheese?  You'd get more than 15 grams of protein if you ate one cup of Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dufiedog
on 9/15/11 9:01 am
Have you tried About Time?  You can go to their wb site and get two samples for $2.99 with free shipping.  Celebrate will send you samples of Chike and you e-mail them and ask.  Both of those I like, but do prefer the About Time.

You might also check out  Bariatric Foodie and The World According to Eggface web sites.  They both have lots of good recipes for making shakes tolerable

lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 9/15/11 9:04 am - MO
Ive tried the body fortress chocolate and cookies and cream, I've tried the unjury strawberry sorbet and unflavored, I've tried several brands of the rtd kinds in chocolate and vanilla and strawberry flavors. the kind i have to mix Ive tried mixing them with skim milk and water in a blender bottle, no matter what I do the smell is so strong and it makes me queasy and if i force my self to drink it, my gag reflex wakes up and I almost get sick :(  I haven't tried any of the clear ones yet where can I get them at? I really need to find something I can tolerate.
Thanks for listening

poet_kelly
on 9/15/11 9:38 am - OH
You can get Isopure and Cytosport at GNC  or Vitamin Shoppe.

Do you like coffee drinks?  I have found coffee to be great at covering up the protein smell/taste.  I like it in vanilla shakes, but it works in chocolate too.

I like my shakes made in the blender with a handful of ice.  You might want to try that instead of just using the blender bottle.

You might want to try a spoonful of peanut butter in them, too.

I know you feel like you've tried a million things but you've really only tried two brands of powder.  That's not very many.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 9/15/11 9:08 am - MO
Oh and I have been eating, a scrambled egg, and some refried beans. I bought some greek yougert today Im going to try. I don't like cottage cheese :/ I have no intrest in food what so ever so when I do eat I have to make my self and I measure it but i cant even finish my tiny portions.

missjann
on 9/15/11 9:17 am
Just keep trying with the food you CAN eat. I was lucky to love my protein powder, but I lived on chili and fat free refried beans for weeks.  Eggs didn't work well. I used to love cottage cheese but can't stomach it now for some reason, and I've never liked yogurt much. I'm still trying to doctor some up enough to start having it for snacks.  My other saving grace was baby food.  I ate the chicken sticks. They're like little baby vienna sausages, only no pork. They're really soft finger foods and I really like them.  I also put baby food pureed chicken in tomato soup...couldn't taste it at all and I got protein.  I still take the baby food meats with me when I fly somewhere for work in case I'm stuck at a hotel that has pasta and sandwiches for food choices.  Good luck!
    Jan

janice A.
on 9/15/11 9:12 am - san angelo, TX
syntrax sells a iced tea flavored which has a decent taste.. u can order it through amazon..

long term

SW 303/ lapband/ 244 /335 pre-op/ revision 4/11

lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 9/15/11 9:31 am - MO
Thanks everyone for all your replies. I didn't think getting all the protein in would be so hard. I make sure I get all my fluids and vits in. Protein and food is a work in progress.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 316 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 10 replies · 48 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?