Pre Op Diet and Weight Gain

Blooming B.
on 9/6/11 4:09 pm - Pittsburg, CA
RNY on 01/04/12
So I was really excited when my doctor told me I only had to loss 15 pounds before surgery especially being that I'm almost 300lbs. However, I got so excited that I gained about 5 or 6 pounds. I plan to have my surgery at the end of December should I start the pre op diet now or wait until November. I am having such a hard time staying on track.  Advise, encouragement and comments please anyone.....
Qutee    
poet_kelly
on 9/6/11 4:19 pm - OH
Is there a dietician you'll be working with?  She might be the best person for you to talk to about the best way to lose the weight you need to lose before surgery.

When you ask if you should start the pre op diet now, what kind of pre op diet are you talking about?  Probably the best things to do right now are to start paying attention to your portion sizes, stay away from junk food most of the time, focus on getting lots of lean protein and drinking lots and lots of water.

Most people start feeling like they have to eat up all their favorite foods before surgery since they will never be able to have them again.  You don't need to do that, though.  You'll be able to eat just about anything after surgery, just in smaller portions and not right away.  If there is something you don't tolerate well after surgery, we can probably help you find a good alternative.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Michelle8885
on 9/7/11 1:02 am
Im following the pre-op diet right now and have been for 5 weeks and have lost 4 lbs but some days it looks like i've lost nothing b/c of water weight.. i dont have a scheduled surgery date yet btw. I was instructed to do this by my dietician. its slow weightloss for me at least.
Most Active
Recent Topics