Antibiotics

brwneyz
on 9/3/11 8:07 am
On Tuesday I went to the doc and I have an ear infection and a sinus infection (usually get one within the first two months of the school year...welcome to teaching, so this is nothing new for me).  He put me on liquid amoxacilin; one teaspoon four times a day.  He said he wanted to treat me "like a kid" due to my stomach, and this being the first time I am on antibiotics since I had the surgery he wasn't sure how my stomach would handle them.  I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!  I have had BAD stomach craps, diarrhea (sorry...), etc. since Wednesday. 

I stopped taking the anti's this morning (I know, you are supposed to take the whole bottle), but I just can't do it anymore.  I feel so much worse on them than I did when I went to the doc.  I even lost 5 lbs in three days that I am sure is jus****er (but hell...I'm counting it).  I am drinking water and getting my protein in.

Any advise??
Wife to Lawrence since July 4, 2003.
Nathan June 16, 2005   Haylee October 7, 2009  
Getting help so I can live long with him and raise them to be the best they can be!                

Holly O.
on 9/3/11 8:40 am - FL
I am almost 3 months outand I dread getting sick because ofthe side effects of antibiotics. I teach high school age kids.......they are already coughing and hacking!!!I  I don't have any advice for you...........other than call the dr. and tell him you need something else!!  Feel better, o.k. Push fuids!!!
   Holly                                      
jojo3283
on 9/3/11 9:23 am - OK
Ask him to change you to a tablet. I had pneumonia 5 days post op and due to that the ER doc put me on lliquid levaquin. Had my week follow up and told my surgeon what I was now on and he said that tablets would have been fine and that if they were huge pills I could have broken them in half and would have been ok.. Too bad i didnt know that after drinking 30 ml of a sugary antiobiotic for 4 days !!

Doing this for ME !!!                 
      Highest Weight 260 / Surgery Weight 235 /  My Goal 160 / Dr Goal 135                  

brwneyz
on 9/3/11 9:40 am
OHHHHHHHHHHH MMMMAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!  I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THE SUGAR THAT MIGHT BE IN THE MIXTURE!!!!
Getting help so I can live long with him and raise them to be the best they can be!                

vmeyerw
on 9/3/11 10:04 am - belfield, ND
im on antibotics too and i mix the dose with about 2tablespoons of flavored yogurt and it makes it easier to get down and easrier on my pouch too
paranoidmother21
on 9/3/11 10:55 am - Lake Zurich, IL
No advice other than what was given here - except that when I need antibiotics, I double my yogurt consumption while I'm taking it, and for the same length of time after I'm off (so for a 10 day cycle, 20 days of double yogurt).

It does reduce the diarrhea, although nothing I've found stops it (and, given that the anti my body responds to best has a statement in the side effects about "generally non-fatal diarrhea" - what???? Someone had fatal diarrhea from this stuff???), I guess the doubling up works pretty good.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

hlacy
on 9/3/11 3:12 pm - Chandler, AZ
This works for me as well - but you need to make sure you are spacing the antibiotics and yogurt out at least two hours from each other or the antibiotic will negate the yogurt. 
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

paranoidmother21
on 9/4/11 11:32 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Check with your pharmacist - I do every time (was a pharmacy tech in HS, and the habit has never left me) for any potential interactions with any food or other medication.  In this case, the particular antibiotic I take does not have a problem with yogurt - it's fine to have them closer together, although I typically have them about an hour or so apart anyway.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

brwneyz
on 9/3/11 11:18 am

The yogurt sounds like a good idea, but I have not been able to do yogurt since I have become lactose intolerant since the surgery. 

weein
on 9/3/11 12:32 pm - CA
You need to go back to the doctor and get it in pill form. I bet it is because it is liquid that you have more problems with it. If you don't finish the antibotics, you will just get sick again and it could be worse next time around. Not finishing the antibotics can lead to antibotic resistiant organizms. I know its the weekend, but maybe you can go to an urgent care or call them and tell them what is going on and hopefully they will help you out. I don't like taking them either. No matter what I get the side effects of them and that was before I ever had surgery. I hope you get to feeling better.

Eileen

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 316 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 297 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 57 views