WBC level going up and down..... any ideas????

SweetGirl11
on 8/27/11 1:49 pm
It seems like every other blood draw, my white blood cell count is low, and then the next one it will be normal, then low, then normal, etc.  I've been getting my blood drawn quite often lately by the hematologist since I've been treated for low ferritin, Vit D, and B12.   Doc said he thinks it may just be a virus and will watch it, but why the up and down?  Anyone else ever had this?

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

rbb825
on 8/27/11 3:35 pm - Suffern, NY
What are the WBC levels?  IT is normal to fluctuate a little.  The normal range is 4.0 to 11.0, so if someone has a level of 5.0 and then the next time is 8 and then back to 6 and then 7 and then 9 that is all normal.  But I know with me, I run low at times.  One draw it will be 3.8 then 4.2, then 3.9 then 5.0 and like you said up and down but never too low just a little.  Like yours, my hematologist says it might be a virus but he isnt' concerned since it isnt' too low and it could just be that I run on the low side and it is just normal fluctuation.

I was recently hospitalize for kidney stone surgery and lost alot of blood causing me to become severely anemic, my platelets and WBC count all plummeted.  This time he was concerned - my WBC's were only 2.7.  Thankfully by time I was released from the hospital they were up to 3.4, so he was okay releasing me.

As long as you aren't in the 2's I wouldn't be concerned but either way, you are seeing the right doctor - it is his area of specialty.  How were your Neuts and lymphs?

SweetGirl11
on 8/27/11 3:43 pm
Mine are like yours.  My last one this past week was 5.0 so they said it was normal.  It's so strange how it alternates.  Maybe this is just my pattern now.  I didn't get a copy of my most recent labs yet (will get it at my next visit next week), so I don't know what my nets and lymphs were. 

Thanks for responding!  I always appreciate your input.  

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 70 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 295 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views