so what would happen?

Deborah Prince
on 8/27/11 12:30 am - MA
What would happen if I took NSAIDS for a short time?  I have been having kidney pain and Tylenol will not help and my doc refuses to give me anything stronger like percocet or vicoden for the pain because they cant figure out what is causing the pain?  will it kill me to take them for a few days to atleast maybe get some relief from the pain?

Thanks alll

Deb

poet_kelly
on 8/27/11 12:36 am - OH
No, it won't kill you.  It might give you an ulcer (or more than one ulcer) and it might not.  No way to know for sure.  If you take them, it would be a good idea to take something to protect your stomach along with them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa R.
on 8/27/11 1:48 am - CA
I am right there with you!  My knees hurt so bad!  I have Lortab that I take at night but I can't take that during the day.  I need some relief from this pain!  I feel like it is driving me nuts.  

This might be crazy thinking, but they can't seem to figure out what is wrong with my knees, but if I get an ulcer from the meds to relieve the pain at least they WILL know how to treat that!  I can't take the pain anymore, I can't even sleep at times it's so bad.

I am going to take an Ibuprofen today, go ahead an YELL am me people, I don't care.  But before you judge walk with my knees for a minute and tell me you would do different after 2 months of constant unending pain with no answers!   

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Deborah Prince
on 8/27/11 8:56 am - MA
I hear ya Lisa,

If I had known or even thoght that I would have to live in pain after this surgery I would never ever, ever, ever have done it.  I am about ready to just give up on the whole thing im so discusted with all my doctors and my ER that i have been going to for 25yrs now. Im suppose to have my 6 month check up next week and am thinking of canceling that.

Im Sooooooo FRUSTRATED!

Good luck i hope you find some kind of relief.

Deb

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/27/11 2:43 am - Belleville, IL
Talk to your doctor about him prescribing Tramadol.

However, you may very well have a kidney stone, and sadly, sometimes the only way that pain goes away is when it passes or you have it removed.

As to what would happen if you took an NSAID...As Kelly said, probably nothing (and it will probably NOT relieve your pain either!!!! If it is a kidney stone)..BUT NSAID for RNY folks are notorious for causing bleeding ulcers which CAN be life threatening.

If you must take an NSAID, (ALWAYS check with your bariatric surgeon first!) make sure you take something like Prevacid or NExium with it.

See if the Doc will prescribe some Tramadol, its NOT an NSAID and works like a narcotic but without any of the bad side effects.

Warmly,
Jackie

MsBatt
on 8/27/11 6:02 am
Tramadol---meh. One doesn't kill my pain, and two make me funny in the head. (Okay, funny-er. *grin*)
Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/27/11 2:46 am - Belleville, IL
To Lisa:

Talk to your doctor...See if they can prescribe you TRAMADOL or NUCYNTA. Both of these have GREAT pain relieving properties but WITHOUT the bad side effects of Opiods.

I've been in your shoes and then some. Believe me. Be proactive and stand up for your paitient rights. Yelling and moaning will not help your pain. DEMANDING from your doctor that you get pain relief WILL help. (and if your PCP won't help you...Find another doctor. Ask for a referral to a Pain Management Doctor!)

Warmly,
Jackie

Deborah Prince
on 8/27/11 8:59 am - MA
Thank you for  your reply Jackie,

But unfortunatety I have been flagged on my medical records as only going to the ER looking for pain meds (which is sooooo far from the truth its not even funny)  I tried another ER and they called the other ER and they are flagging me there. 

I regret having this surgery soooooooooo BAD!

Deb

Eliza55
on 8/27/11 3:05 am - PA

Ulcers in either the residual stomach or in the pouch can be very dangerous.  You should talk to your doctor about pain that you cannot handle, and not just take an NSAID.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

FleurDeLis
on 8/27/11 7:08 am
NSAIDS are also bad for your kidneys as well as your pouch. Try ice packs or heating pads if you can't get the above suggested meds. Just don't fall asleep on a heating pad.
Most Active
Recent Topics