Hysterectomy after GB

Chrissie78
on 8/13/11 4:51 pm
Hi Everyone,
I am coming up to my 4th month post op and I think I am doing good so far. My surgery was April 26, 2011 and as of last week, I have lost about 67 lbs. I have "stalled" since my blood transfusion! However I  have been having severe clotting and bleeding which caused my massive blood loss, so my OB is scheduling me for a hysterectomy. I am 33, so Im still kind of young. However I am soncerned about my weight loss after, I dont want the sugery to be a waste if all I am going to do is gain weight. Has any body experienced this?
Your help is much appreciated!
poet_kelly
on 8/13/11 6:31 pm - OH
I don't understand why you think you might gain weight now.  At only four months post op, you are no where near done losing.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Chrissie78
on 8/15/11 11:35 am
I had heard people gain weight after they have one so it made me kind of nervous!
Michelle E.
on 8/13/11 8:47 pm
I have been suffering with the same issue infact it caused  my severe anemia.. you had Tanaka like I did.. MY OB did not recommend a hysteretomy but put we did try several types of BC. I have had great success with nuvaring.. This is my 2nd month and my TOM last month was awesome.. it was very light. . Usually, I would be bleeding so much that I have to change a super tampon and pad every 2 hours.. not good. I have had some very embarrassing moments at work.. Although, I wanted to get a Hyster..Im 40 have my family etc.. but my OB was not a fan due to hormone changes, and other menopausal issues.

My ferritin levels went from 4.2 to 7.8 in a month but I am also taking Proferrin (heme iron 3 of them daily) and 6 tender iron w/ vit c. I also have to be vigilant about the constipation.. stool softeners and magnesium and miralax are my friends. My doc did not recommend the blood transfusion because it is not a good long term solution.

I am feeling better.. my fatigue and energy sucks some days.. I attend the Pacific Bariatric support group and have some literature on IRON supplementation provided to me from Karen Hughes/Kaiser. You should attend a meeting.. its at Mercy Hospital I think starts at 6pm....

I am trying to be patient and take it easy..I hope it goes well for you...

Michelle
Chrissie78
on 8/15/11 11:39 am
Michelle,
First of all congrats on your success in weight loss!
Yeah I am going to see how things go. My hemoglobin was so low, thats why they recommended I get a transfusion asap because it was rapidly dropping. Also, I would put 3 THICK hospital like pads together and would go through them every 30 minutes, it was horrible!
Carla M.
on 8/13/11 11:36 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I don't see any reason you would gain weight from a hysterectomy. The only issue I can see is that you will definitely need to up your vitamin d and calcium intake to make sure that your bones stay in good health. I had a hysterectomy when I was 25. Calcium and Vitamin D are my main concerns since I can't take hormones. You'll be fine! You'll lose ! The surgery might make working out a little tougher for a few weeks, but that will be your only hangup.

Hope everything works out fine! You'll be great!
Chrissie78
on 8/15/11 11:40 am
Thanks! Im a pretty good healer so Im not worried about that.  I just heard people gain a lot of weight after so it scared me! lol
dannygirl3668
on 10/16/11 12:02 pm - Bedford, XX
Hi Everyone,

I have been post-op for 4 1/2 yrs and have had problems with my iron for my whole life but worse since my RNY. I have had 4 or more iron infusions and my ferritin has been as low as 2, no iron supplements help. My body just does not absorbe it, so I have resorted to having a vaginal hysterectomy on November 1st. I am also scared that I will gain my weight back which is my biggest fear in life. They are going to keep my one ovary or both not sure until the surgery. Has anyone been out that far and had a hysterectomy as well as problems with weight gain. I do not want my weight to return.
Any advise or help?
Thanks, Danielle
Most Active
Recent Topics