Anyone loose/need to loose 200+

StacyAnn07
on 8/5/11 11:12 am - Del City, OK
Anyone out there either lost 200 pounds or are needing to loose 200+ pounds?? I'm 230 pounds overweight and I would love to chat with some folks who were/are in my shoes. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the success of you all that lost 100-150 pounds I just want to know if I should only expect a 150 pound loss or if I can push through and get to my goal??? Thanks again everyone   

SI_Mike
on 8/5/11 11:21 am - NY
RNY on 03/23/11 with
Hi Stacy....when I started, I needed to lose well over 200lbs.  To me it seemed like a pretty big mountain to climb.  Well, i am down +150lbs so far and the 200 mark doesnt seem so bad anymore.  Stay focused and follow your program.  let me know if you want to chat.  I would love a new friend!  Be well Mike

HW 484  SW 449  CW 251.5

Gina1013
on 8/5/11 11:43 am - Canton, OH
 Hi Stacy...I have 200+ to lose. It CAN be done!!  

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

Cecelia B.
on 8/5/11 11:45 am - St Louis, MO
Hey girl,

I am getting closer to the 200 # mark.  Also there is a board called "BMI over 50"forum with some extremely obese folks losing weight.  you might wanna look there.  It is a long battle, but so was gaining up to 385 # and it is so much more worth it to be on the losing side.  Best of luck and ask any question you want.    My surgery was 11 months ago and life is SOOOOOO different.

Starting wt. March/ 2010  385lbs
Surgery wt.  Sept/2010     322lbs
Current wt.  Sept/2013     204lbs

Barbara C.
on 8/5/11 11:46 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Stacy Ann,

You might want to see about checking out the Over 50 BMI forum. I'm sure you will find a lot of others their that will share your concern and you can get a view of their experience. Also know that while there is a range of amounts of weight that you can expect to loose, most RNY patients can expect to lose 65 to 70 percent of their excess weight. If you are carrying 230 lbs of excess weight, you can expect to lose somewhere from 150 to 160 lbs. That is what is likely for the statistical averages, but there are those who don't fall in the statistical averages... I'm one and I know others. By the time I had my surgery I had 100 lbs left to lose, so I should have lost 65 to 70 lbs, I lost 100 lbs., or 100 percent of my excess weight. To be honest, that is pretty unusual.

I find the RNY to be a very, very effective tool. RNY's can be done Proximal or Distal. Here's some information from wikipedia to help you make an informed decision, if you are considering an RNY and want to make an informed decision about the different types of RNY gastric bypass surgeries:

Gastric bypass, Roux en-Y (proximal)

This variant is the most commonly employed gastric bypass technique, and is by far the most commonly performed bariatric procedure in the United States. It is the operation which is least likely to result in nutritional difficulties. The small bowel is divided about 45 cm (18 in) below the lower stomach outlet, and is re-arranged into a Y-configuration, to enable outflow of food from the small upper stomach pouch, via a "Roux limb". In the proximal version, the Y-intersection is formed near the upper (proximal) end of the small bowel. The Roux limb is constructed with a length of 80 to 150 cm (30 to 60 inches), preserving most of the small bowel for absorption of nutrients. The patient experiences very rapid onset of a sense of stomach-fullness, followed by a feeling of growing satiety, or "indifference" to food, shortly after the start of a meal.

Gastric bypass, Roux en-Y (distal)

The normal small bowel is 600 to 1000 cm (20 to 33 feet) in length. As the Y-connection is moved farther down the Gastrointestinal tract, the amount of bowel capable of fully absorbing nutrients is progressively reduced, in pursuit of greater effectiveness of the operation. The Y-connection is formed much closer to the lower (distal) end of the small bowel, usually 100 to 150 cm (40 to 60 inches) from the lower end of the bowel, causing reduced absorption (mal-absorption) of food, primarily of fats and starches, but also of various minerals, and the fat-soluble vitamins. The unabsorbed fats and starches pass into the large intestine, where bacterial actions may act on them to produce irritants and malodorous gases. These increasing nutritional effects are traded for a relatively modest increase in total weight loss.

Distal is closer to DS if your only choice is RNY. Distal creates more malabsorption so your success rate is higher. It's also better suited for those with higher BMI or are in Super Morbidly Obese category. (BTW... you might also want to consider looking at the DS which is also a good, viable option; especially for those with higher BMIs.

I hope that this helps some.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

YankeeRose
on 8/5/11 12:08 pm - Meadville, PA
Hi Barbara, I am still a little confused between proximal and distal. In your definition above you stated that "In the proximal version, the Y-intersection is formed near the upper (proximal) end of the small bowel. The Roux limb is constructed with a length of 80 to 150 cm (30 to 60 inches), preserving most of the small bowel for absorption of nutrients." But for the Distal you said that "The Y-connection is formed much closer to the lower (distal) end of the small bowel, usually 100 to 150 cm (40 to 60 inches) from the lower end of the bowel, causing reduced absorption (malabsorption) of food, primarily of fats and starches, but also of various minerals, and the fat-soluble vitamins." Unless you get 80-90 cm bypassed, the remainder 100-150 cm fits both definitions. So my question is if you get between 100-150 cm bypassed, how do you know which version (proximal or distal) that you had performed? My surgeon told me he bypassed 150 cm of my small intestines to give me more malabsorption because I have more than 200 lbs to lose. Is that then considered a distal? Does that mean I am closer to a DS? Just curious. Thanks!

Tammy 

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

littlewitch1973
on 8/5/11 11:48 am - NY
 Hi there... 

I also need to lose over 200 pounds - no surgery date yet, so I am still working on getting that. Where are you in your process? I am always open to chatting with people online... 

DallasBBWmom
on 8/5/11 11:52 am - TX
Hi Stacy,

I have lost 147 pounds and still have about 80-100 more to go. I am 8 months post op. My weight loss has slowed down but I am still loosing and feel 100% better. I went from a size 30/32 to a loose 20.

I know it's hard not to get caught up in the big picture but try to look at the small things that make a big difference. Even loosing 100 will make a huge difference.

I am always around if you want to chat.

Go for it! You won't be disappointed!

aseg21
on 8/5/11 11:57 am - Miami, FL
I'm pretty close - as of today I've lost 184 lbs. That's all post-op, not counting pre-surgery diet. I need 16 pounds more to reach the 200 lb mark, but I'm not even a year post-op yet! Only 1 more month until I reach that year, but I'll take every single day I can and try and lose it in that amount of time. It's a do-able goal for sure. I was scared I'd never get here and now, I just want the other 30 lbs to goal! Seriously.. 230 lbs overweight was a lot to worse to face than just needing to lose 30. You can do it...

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

mandajolyn
on 8/5/11 12:43 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I'm down over 200lbs from my highest and almost 200 since wls! I'm about 33 pounds from goal but have put that in hold because I'm pregnant!
It can be done! My highest was well over 450, I was 426 the day of surgery!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 326 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 305 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 259 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 330 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?