OT-XP-12 Step Groups-AA,OA,etc-Pros and Cons

Amy R.
on 8/2/11 9:04 am
I originally started this thread over on the main board, but then realized that a lot of you don't go over there much and I'd really like to hear your opinions too.  If you have a moment, would you please weigh in with your thoughts?  Here is my original post, followed by a link to the thread if you're interested in what some have already said.

Thanks in advance for any/everything you can offer.  I am anxious to get others' thoughts on this.

I've seen several comments on these groups (not just here on OH) lately. There seem to be some "cons" to them, which I had never thought of.  I've seen people have basically positive experiences, but I know a few who've been "burned" - just figured everything wasn't for everybody.  Now I'm curious - if you are/have been/know anything about the 12 step programs, what do you think?  And most importantly, why do  you think it?

Thanks for ANY input - good or bad.  I am truly curious.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4433054/12-Step-Groups-AA-OA-etc-Pros-and-Cons/#36646337
azreggie
on 8/2/11 10:25 am - Tucson, AZ
I have been sober for 28 years, one day at a time. There's a saying," if it works don't fix it."

Reggie

seattledeb
on 8/2/11 5:05 pm
I am impressed with the number of one day a times you have!

azreggie
on 8/3/11 4:11 am - Tucson, AZ
10,400 days give or take. 

Reggie

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 11:22 am - TX
I think the general concepts work for most people. For me, they are religious in nature, and I am not, so I probably wouldn't do them. But if that is ok with you I am sure they would work. I do have an agnostic friend who has been doing AA for a year now and remained sober and she loves the friends she's made there and the way the program works. She says she just overlooks what doesn't apply to her.
azreggie
on 8/3/11 4:14 am - Tucson, AZ
I am not religious.  My husband calls me a born again Pagan, I believe in a higher power but I have some Friends who are atheist who have long term sobriety.  Take what you want and leave the rest.  All you need is an open mind.

Reggie

seattledeb
on 8/2/11 5:04 pm
Amy..I think there is a lot of misinformation about 12 step programs.
I have seen AA work miracles for people that I love.
In a way I think it's easier than OA. It's easier to define sobriety I think. 
I tried OA and felt like there was no recovery there. It didn't feel like a safe place for me.

Deb T.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 192 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views