heavy lifting after surgery

crystal P.
on 8/1/11 12:46 am - KY
how soon after surgery can you resume with regular lifting and are off of the light lifting. I am scheduled for Aug 10 for surgery and Aug 22 nursing classes start and on Sept 12 my clinical start and if i cant be cleared by that time then I will have no choice but to wait until December for surgery and I don't want to, but I cant throw my nursing education away, i have worked to hard to get accepted into the RN program but on the other hand this surgery means a lot to me, can you all please help me out, i am about to panic

surgery date RNY 8/10/11, HW 345, SW 323, CW 308, GW 155-160, SGW 135

"what doesnt kill me, can only make me stronger"        
Tenaciousc1974
on 8/1/11 1:11 am - CA
I would guess you shouldn't be lifting much 2 weeks after surgery. Ask your doctor what his or her guidelines are. My dr says no more than 20 pounds from week 2 till after 3 months when he clears me.
Chris

start/pre-op/current/goal weights:  286/240/138/130

Dave Chambers
on 8/1/11 1:15 am - Mira Loma, CA
My surgeon had a couple of restrictions for the first 3 weeks. No lifting over 15 pounds and no wt bearing exercises in the gym.  The lifting issue is often problematic with having small kids in your home.  If that's the case, get some help during that time.  Check with you surgeon to see if they have the same restrictions. Depending on your healing progress, you'll be made aware of when these restrictions are lifted. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

laura_vermont
on 8/1/11 1:52 am
I would ask your surgeon - mine required 6 weeks w/o lifting.  You'll be a hair over 4 weeks, so you might be ok. 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Mia H.
on 8/1/11 2:20 am - OH
 I definitely ask your doctor about this.  Mine said no lifting until 6 weeks as well.

johnsoca
on 8/1/11 2:31 am - Madison, AL
My restrictions were no lifting over 10lbs. for 6 weeks. Ask your doctor.

SweetLilyAnn
on 8/1/11 2:33 am - TX
My surgeon said to not lift  over15 lbs for 4 weeks and then I was 100% cleared after that.  My guess is that you will be ok.  Just be careful and listen to your body. 

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

poet_kelly
on 8/1/11 2:54 am - OH
You'll probably be able to lift by then, especially if you have lap surgery, not open, and have no complications.  I'd call your surgeon and ask to make sure, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Diana C.
on 8/1/11 6:50 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/28/11 with
At my 2 week post op visit my surgeon said I was allowed to pick up my 30 lb toddler and resume going to the gym.  You just need to ask your surgeon.

weein
on 8/1/11 11:27 am - CA
I would check with your doctor, but I think you should be fine. Just be careful when you start your clinicals. Make sure you get help with turning or getting your patients up. I'm a nurse and work in the ICU, and my doctor told me I could go back to work after 2 weeks. Personally I thought he was on crack. In there post op instructions, it stated no more 10 pounds for the first 4 weeks.(our IV pumps weigh 10 pounds and thats the small ones, the big ones weigh 20). I went back to work at 5 weeks. Good luck with your surgery, and good luck in nursing school.

Eileen

Most Active