Worried how bad off I'll be

stacyeparker
on 7/26/11 3:11 am - South Charleston, WV
I have 4 kids. Three of them are going to be starting school soon after my surgery. My mom is worried about me being able to get them ready for the day and be able to care for them afterward after my surgery. She is getting another surgery herself and wont be around after the first week. She keeps telling me I need to re-schedule my surgery. I personally don't really know what I should do. I think I'll be able to care for my kids. they are ages 9,8 and 4 with a soon to be 3 year old at home.
I know I may be in a lot of pain, but mom makes it seem like I'll be bed-ridden for a few weeks. If I'm supposed to walk a lot that just doesn't fit with what she says.
Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/11 3:22 am
First few weeks you are very limeted how much can you lift (ie picking up your 3  or 4 year old).
Other than that - I can't see a problem.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stacyeparker
on 7/26/11 3:27 am - South Charleston, WV
They are pretty big kids anyway and I don't pick them up cause of painful joints. They listen fairly well so that doesnt cause a problem.

Thanks for your opinion.
msromagnola
on 7/26/11 3:32 am
The first week :  you'll be in the hospital for a few days and you might need help a day or so after that - other than picking up stuff and maybe driving you should be ok around the house.

MSROMAGNOLA
stacyeparker
on 7/26/11 3:37 am - South Charleston, WV
that's good to hear. mom made it sound like I'll be useless.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/26/11 9:10 am - OH
Just make sure you have an "emergency" backup plan if for some reason your surgeon has to convert your surgery to open, because that WILL probably make you close to useless for at least several days once you get home (and will extend your hospital stay).  I couldn't have cared for pre-schoolers for the first week after my open surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

stacyeparker
on 7/26/11 10:00 am - South Charleston, WV
I will be sure to. I am scared mine is going to end up being open because of my organs being in a mirror image of most people. found this out after my galbladder removal back in 02. Not sure if my surgeon believed me though.
T. Deeds
on 7/26/11 3:38 am
Do you have friends and other family members who could each commit to coming over and helping you for one or two days following your surgery?  Some people have a very easy recovery.  I was one of those people who did not.  I couldn't even feed my cat for several weeks, much less take care of any kids (I don't have any, but if I did, it would have been a big problem).  Also, if you have any complications, your recovery could be prolonged.  I'm just saying this so you'll be aware that you might need to have a back-up plan in place.

Pholaris
on 7/26/11 3:46 am
Most people are able to return home within a day or two from the hospital, and are pretty mobile once hom, which is encouraged.

However, I think you also need a plan B just in case you are not most people.

Do you have a friend or someone else you could call in case you need some help? or, can your husband take some time off from work?  I think having a backup plan just in case will give you peace of mind, even if chances are you will not need the additional help.

Pregnancy%20ticker
turningpoint
on 7/26/11 4:02 am
other than picking up things over 10 lbs after 1 week I could do just about anything in short bursts with lots of rest in between.  Granted, I had no small kids, but if you don't need to pick the little ones up to carry them, you should be fine.  The older ones can do most things for themselves and with a little prompting might also be able to help with the little ones.  You will  be walking from day one and likely be driving by the end of the first week. 

Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
Most Active
Recent Topics