CAFFEINE

tyvette007
on 7/18/11 6:26 am

I will be 8 weeks post op on the 23rd. When do you think I can have Tea?

Tonya0531
on 7/18/11 6:31 am - Lake, MS
I drink a coffe protein drink and have been for about 3-4 weeks so I would say it's ok.  However, remember that caffeine will dehydrate you so you will have to drink double the water for the amount of caffeine you drink.  So if you drink an 8 oz glass of tea, you will need 16 oz of water in addition to what you are already drinking.  To me, it's worth it.  I need my caffeine!!!
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
poet_kelly
on 7/18/11 7:05 am - OH
I don't know why you couldn't have it now.  If you're concerned about caffeine, drink decaf tea.  But caffeine is not a big deal, in my opinion, in moderation.  Don't drink a gallon of tea with caffeine in one day, but one cup should be fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

turningpoint
on 7/18/11 7:11 am
you should check with your surgeon and follow his plan.

After 5 weeks, I could have it. 
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
MastoDon
on 7/18/11 8:39 am - Los Gatos, CA
I found that drinking warm tea was WAY easier for me to do than to drink plain water, so I've been doing it for ten months or more.  Pretty much from the time I was about six weeks post-op.  I do not think I have suffered any ill effects from this practice.

Prior to my RNY, I was a very heavy coffee drinker (pun intended).  Maybe three or four cups per day.  For some reason or other, I determined not to continue that particular vice after my surgery, and to this day I have not had a single cup of brewed coffee.  I don't know if I'm the recipient of any health benefits from that denial or not, but I do know that I had infrequent cardiac arrhythmias and some annoying tachycardia episodes for several years before my RNY, and have had zero episodes of those maladies since.

Even if you DO have a negative reaction to caffeine, it's not likely to kill you.  Just cut back or switch to decaf and let the show go on.

Good luck.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?