A few concerns

Lisa R.
on 7/17/11 4:40 am - CA
First, for anyone who might have read and remembers, I am suffering from a slight knee injury that took place sometime on July 4 or 5th.  Since I have really no clue what happen I really have no clue when I actually hurt it.  I have been to the doctor 3 times and the MRI is set for next week,

The good news is that with lots of rest and heat the knee feels much better and I can bend it again and walk on it without too much pain and the swelling is almost gone.  I can see my knee cap!  LOL

The concerns are this...

One: I have not been to the gym so I adjusted my calories and meals and went down to less then 700 a day, while going to the gym I do about 900 to 1000.  I hope this helps because tomorrow is weigh in day and I will just be miserable it I don't lose something!

Second: They gave me Lortab, liquid vicodin, for pain since that is pretty much all that we can take that will work to easy my pain.  I don't think I'm addicted but I do "like" taking it because sitting in my bed for the 3rd day in a row is kind of driving me nuts and the Lortab makes me sleep so I can handle it better.  I guess it's ok since it is serving it's purpose.  I guess my real concern should come if I can't seem to stop taking it after the knee is healed, right? 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/17/11 5:26 am - OH
Issue one:  Please do not let yourself up to feel "miserable" if you have not lost any weight, because there will be times when you will not lose any weight (exercising or not) simply because of the nature of the beast... some weeks you will drop a lot and some weeks you will drop nothing (especially the further out you get).

Issue two:  I would try not to use it just to sleep to keep yourself from being bored, but, yes, probably no reason to be concerned until you feel like you need it when there is not enough pain to really NEED it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BugdocMom
on 7/17/11 5:29 am - CA
I am glad to hear your knee is feeling better. I have a hip problem and have a prescription for hydrocodone to take at will for pain, so I understand how frustrating it is being laid up. I also understand what it is to "like" the feeling you get from the medication and the urge you may have to use it to help you sleep away the boredom. I also don't know how long it takes to become addicted to it, I imagine it is unique to each individual. BUT, I want to point out that the medication is for use for the pain, not the boredom associated with being in bed. I don't think you will have any problem after so few days (you say 3?), but you are wise to be posting and being aware now because if, as you say, you "can't seem to stop taking it after the knee is healed," it will be too late for real concern. Gauge your PAIN and take the meds accordingly. IMO, if you are laid up in bed and not hurting badly, there's no need to take the meds. And, as everyone always suggests, it is best to talk to your doc if you have questions or concerns. Best of luck! Hope you are back in the gym soon!

Zombie
on 7/17/11 5:36 am
Loritab is the ****! But seriously, I think there would be safer alternatives for sleep aid if that's what you were referring to as in taking it after your knee healed. I recommend Unisom. That works for me because I work nights and sleep most of the day. The Unisom kicks in after about 20 minutes and puts me out.
Good luck.

~Paul~

Lisa R.
on 7/17/11 5:40 am - CA
You are all right.  I need to NOT take the pain medicine to sleep, I need to take it for PAIN!  I guess I posted this because I wanted to know what people thought of me using it to rest.  I was scared a bit to post this with all that has been going on in the past day, but I wanted to share it with my OH peeps, who always have the best advice and kindest words of encouragement for me.

this knee thing is a pain, and I have to get back up soon as school starts in less then 2 weeks and I have a new classroom that isn't going to decorate itself.  I am feeling a bit sorry for myself being all laid up.......boohoo!  I'll get over it. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
BugdocMom
on 7/17/11 6:17 am - CA
You did the right thing by posting. It is obvious when you post that you are looking for encouragement, support, and words of wisdom--the reason for this forum. Never be afraid to be HONEST and VULNERABLE here. Those are things we all see and empathize with. We've got your back when you really want/need it!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 307 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 80 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 80 views