tube in throat

dmich
on 7/16/11 1:11 am
Did those of you that had r oux-en-y  have to have a tube down the throat that was left in after surgery overnight?
Pupcake !.
on 7/16/11 1:34 am - Stranded in, IA
I did not.

If you have a VERY high BMI, SEVERE sleep apnea, or somthing that blocks off your trachea it is a possibility.

Otherwise doc's avoid leaving people intubated as it can cause increased infection.

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

tyvette007
on 7/16/11 1:41 am
It was removed by I woke up.
labellavita1982
on 7/16/11 3:23 am - Neenah, WI
I had sleep apnea. The tube was out of my throat before I woke up.
AmyCathleenRN
on 7/16/11 4:03 am - VA
RNY on 06/13/11 with
I don't think anyone keeps the breathing tube in, that's usually removed before you wake up.  The NG (nasogastric) tube which goes down your throat and into your stomach was in when I woke up from anesthesia but they removed it before I went up to my room.  Hope this helps!

Tammy G.
on 7/16/11 6:00 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
I have a high BMI, severe sleep apnea & asthma. No tube in my throat or nose when I woke up after surgery. The anesthesiologist did have a hard time getting the tube in and I had a swollen, sore neck for a few days (outside,not inside, like I had been strangled)

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

WildHeart101
on 7/16/11 5:12 pm - Lexington, KY
Tammy, if you ever have to have to be admitted to the hospital or another surgery, please let them know that you may be a difficult intubation and tell them about this situation.  That's important from here on out.
Cindy    *number on ticker includes 14.5 lbs lost prior to surgery                                                                                

Tammy G.
on 7/16/11 5:15 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
That's exactly what the ane told me. He told me it was extremely difficult. I have had 3 previous surgeries and was never told there was a problem.

I swear the worst discomfort after surgery was the sore and swollen neck. The whole left side was bruised and tender. The second worst discomfort was no drinking until after the leak test--38 hours withou****er=a thirsty kitty.

Thanks for responding!

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

WildHeart101
on 7/16/11 7:25 pm - Lexington, KY
I can imagine the pain.  I work in an ICU and see intubations all the time.  Unexpected difficult intubations can be very life threatening.  If we (as a medical worker) know's that a patient is a difficult intubation then it's more easily to be prepared for.  Remember to tell them anytime you're admitted or having a surgery, etc.....just in case.
Cindy    *number on ticker includes 14.5 lbs lost prior to surgery                                                                                

dasie
on 7/16/11 10:29 pm
 NO...thank goodness.  In my pre-op class I was the only one who was not being revised.  All those who were having revisions were told they would have a NG tube.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 322 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 308 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 81 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 81 views