Vitamin Help on Iron

tyvette007
on 7/15/11 3:32 am
I am severly anemic. My Dr recommended I take Iron 3 times per day.
According to the message board I have been taking the wrong Iron. I am taking Ferrous Sulfate.
I would like to know what is the best iron supplement?????
Please list the brand that you take, the type of Iron,How many times per day, and the dosage.

Thanks

poet_kelly
on 7/15/11 3:43 am - OH
We absorb carbonyl iron better and that's what I take. The brand I use is Sundown Perfect iron.   I take 75 mg once a day, along with 500 mg vitamin C.  The vitamin C helps the iron be absorbed. 

Heme iron is probably what we absorb the very best but it's costly and most people do well enough with carbonyl.

By the way, we can absorb a large amount of iron at once so I don't know why you'd need to take three times a day.  If you do plan to take it three times a day, then I would buy heme iron because you CAN take it with your calcium.  Other kinds of iron you CAN'T take with calcium and I don't know how you'd fit three or four doses of calcium plus three doses of iron into your day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tyvette007
on 7/15/11 3:57 am
I know its hard. But I try to make sure I at least get my iron in first. I am popping pills every 1-2 hrs. I had to take Iron 3 times per day to build my iron up  for surgery. If it was still low during my preop visit, I couldnt have the surgery. Even now after surgery I still have to take it and my Dr said it may be for the rest of my life. I did look up Bifera. Has anyone tried that?
fickleme
on 7/15/11 5:22 am - Bessemer City, NC
I am currently taking the Bifera but they are only 28mg each... I have been taking 2 at night... I have not been constipated since starting them which is the reason for switching to that brand... My surgeon's office called this morning and said that I needed to start taking 65mg twice daily and to add vitamin C with it... that seems like a lot but then again my ferritin(sp) level was a 15 at last weeks check up... There is no way I can afford to continue taking the Bifera brand with the increase in dosage... I am searching for something else as well... I have looked for the Sundown Perfect that Kelly suggested but I haven't seen it at my CVS or Walmart... Hope to find it soon... Good Luck to you! :)
tyvette007
on 7/15/11 7:27 am
It is on Drugstore.com. You can find it there.
TamaraL
on 7/15/11 10:24 am
I have been buying the Sundown Perfect iron at Rite Aid and ingles.  I buy it when its Buy one get one free

Tamara

Michelle E.
on 7/16/11 12:23 am
I take Elemental Iron with Vit C or with SF Orange Sunrise. I take 90 mg in the morning and another 90 mg in the afternoon.

In the evening, I started taking Proferrin 3 tablets with B Complex with SF Orange Sunrise. 36 mg total.

Here's the deal though, my ferritin levels are 4.2 down from 4.8 a  month ago.

Tannins block absorption.- in coffee, tea, red wine etc. I no longer drink tea all day long.

I also have really heavy TOMs. Now, starting Nuvaring continuous to avoid the TOM for the next 3 mos.

I have read B Complex, and Copper aid in absorption. I ordered some Copper and more elemental Iron from vitalady. Check out her website. Lots of people use her Iron and supplements. Her prices are the best I have seen.

Honestly, I think most Doctors dont know how much Iron because they are terrified of the toxicity issue but I think I have read some folks on here taking 300-450 mg of elemental iron per day.

I cant wait to get my Iron tested next month. I am feeling a little better this week.

Good Luck!

Michelle
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 371 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 500 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 570 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 292 views
Recent Topics