Whatsa "mini" gastric bypass?

Amy R.
on 7/11/11 7:59 am
I hve just recently heard this term, googled it, and got a couple of different definitions.  Does anyone know what it truly is?  

I can't figure out for the life of me what would constitute a miniature gastric bypass?  Is it that they just do the stomach and not the intestines or vice versa?  Or just bypass less intestine? Both of those were given as definitions when I looked it up.

Also, do you know of anyone who has done a "mini" version and if they have been successful?
laura_vermont
on 7/11/11 8:06 am
From memory -- which sometimes fails me -- I believe that it is a procedure done by only 1-2 surgeons and has safety issues.  I recall that I researched it after hearing the term here.  The only websites I found were ads:

http://www.clos.net/

Sounds too good to be true.  No real specifics about the procedure are given.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/11/11 8:08 am - OH
A friend of a friend was TRYING to get one done about a year or so ago but could not find a surgeon to do it.  HER explanation of it (which was consistent with the one web page I looked it up on back then) was that the new stomach is like a sleeve (rather than a pouch) but WITH the intestinal bypass AND they leave the remnant stomach (which they normally remove with the sleeve).

My doctor indicated that there are a number of problems with it, but did not elaborate.  I *think* there is a forum here on OH for mini folks...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

laura_vermont
on 7/11/11 8:19 am
Did a tiny bit of research.... it apparently is a "sleeve-type" pouch -- but unlike the sleeve it does not save the pylorus -- and yes, you keep your spare parts.  A variable amount of intestine is bypassed.  One of the dr's advertising has a utube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JkPDnRZkUI

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Amy R.
on 7/12/11 3:37 am
Thanks guys =)
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 236 views