How do you do it?

Lisa R.
on 6/30/11 6:18 am - CA
 Soooo.....today I finally did it, I threw up my protein shake.  Not totally sure if I did it because I drank it a bit too fast or if it was because I just HATE it so much.  I do have to hold them down every time I drink them so I think this was just something that was going to happen.  Now that I have thrown it up I can't even think about putting it in my mouth again, I am not sure I can even swallow it.

I have seen people post that they get most of their protein from food.  Give me some tips on how to do that 2 months out.  What do I have to eat, how often and what amounts.  I think this may be my only option.  I even tried the unflavored stuff and I can't do that either.

HELP!

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Zombie
on 6/30/11 6:22 am

What type of protein are you drinking? GNC has a lot of different types of protein powders, they also have protein water which has a significant amount of protein in it. As for foods, I don't remember exactly where I was at 2 months out. I think I was able to eat a little bit of fish. So just a thought, try your local GNC don't buy at walmart or target. You can also look online at GNC.com to see if there is anything good. Hope that helps.

~Paul~

Bkritty
on 6/30/11 6:39 am
Why do you say not to buy protein at Target or Walmart? That is the first I have heard that statement on this site! Just wondering....

azurepenguin
on 6/30/11 7:09 am - Arlington, TX
 Not sure of Paul's reason but in my opinion, even tho GNC stuff is more expensive, if you buy something and don't like it, you can return for an exchange when you buy from GNC.  So you aren't stuck with a $60 canister of protein you think is gross and will never use.

Some people really like the brands carried there.  I did not and because they were non returnable it was money down the drain.  At GNC I tried different stuff until I found something I liked.
azurepenguin
on 6/30/11 6:22 am - Arlington, TX
 I'm sorry you are having problems with protein shakes.  That's no fun.

I am not going to be a good person to give you alternatives because I was 'lucky' enough to find a shake brand that I really like and never had to agressivly research alternatives.  I am going to direct you to a website post that has an excellent list of suggestions on what to do with protein powder and maybe some better ways to hide it.

I will say that my unflavored protein is still sitting in my cupboard after 2 years...I hated that one too.  But check out this link.

http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2009/04/protein-single-scoop-of-vanilla.html

Best of luck to you.
Jenn
aka: Genevieve in the SCA
         Shyama as a American Tribal (belly dance) performer  

D-J
on 6/30/11 6:29 am
you may be having problems with lactose if it's making you sick like that,, maybe you should call your NUT and speak with her about setting up a plan for you to be able to take in your protiens,,meats, cheeses, eggs, oh and refried beeans,,is what i know as the protiens,,although i am only starting my third week out and am only on eggs and cheese's at the moment,,i use the instant breakfast (no sugar added) and add two scoops of unflavored protien and have had no problem with it,,it does make me a bit gassy but i refuse to give my milk even if it is skim,,LOL
(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 6:35 am - TX
I had a hard time with the shakes too. I had to make them with water and ice, like a slushy, in the blender, and they had to be really cold to get them down. As soon as I could eat eggs and beans and fish, I cut one of them out, and when I could eat meat, I cut the other. So I am getting 60-80 grams of protein from food. You have to be diligent, though, and make sure you get 20 grams per meal.
froggietina
on 6/30/11 6:36 am - TX

Protein shakes were making me very nauseous also. Turns out I just can't handle milk products anymore. I have switched to soy milk and everything is much better now. I actually enjoy them now.

Tina

Lap-Band Surgery 296/ RNY Surgery 216
5'8"

Lisa R.
on 6/30/11 6:37 am - CA
 Thank you all for that advice, but the fact is that I have tried it all, and I do IT ALL. I have spent so much money on powers and shakes from GNC, Clarks, Target, Trader Joes.....I hate it all.

I love milk, but yes since surgery it doesn't sit as well.  But with shakes it isn't the "sitting" that I have a problem with it is the taste, I just can't stand the taste or texture.

I have found a few protein bars that I really like, only problem is they are high in calories.  For example I found this power crunch bar that is 13 grams of protein but 200 calories.  I only eat those on days I work out, and I eat it right after the work out.

I can eat pretty much everything except beef and pork.  So how do I eat enough to get my protein, I have seen people post that they can get 100 grams in with no shakes.  I WANT TO KNOW HOW!!

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
dsousa
on 6/30/11 6:40 am
Try greek yougurt, it has a lot of protein or cottage cheese.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 307 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 80 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 80 views