Will it happen for everyone?

Tristabelle
on 6/28/11 12:56 am
I'm talking about butt pain. Does everyone end up with tailbone pain?  I've seen it mentioned a few times here and I just can't figure it out.  Before I was heavy (12 years ago) I never had tailbone pain so why would I get it after losing weight? 

lynnc99
on 6/28/11 1:02 am
Well, because you adjusted to carrying your own cushion around with you!

I had a phase of tailbone sensitivity (never overwhelming pain) but I believe that my posture has shifted now to accommodate my weight loss and it is no longer an issue.
azurepenguin
on 6/28/11 1:05 am - Arlington, TX
 My hiney hurts a lot more if I spend too much time sitting.  I never 'truly' noticed the difference until last summer.  I had my RNY surgery in October '09.  In August '10 I had a open hernia repair surgery and was sofa bound for 3 weeks.  I had lost 120 pounds at that point and OOOO sitting was a complete pain in the arse...LITERALLY.

Some people notice it more than others...I guess it has a lot to do with how and where you carried your weight before and how much and where you lose it from post surgery.
Jenn
aka: Genevieve in the SCA
         Shyama as a American Tribal (belly dance) performer  

Zombie
on 6/28/11 1:29 am
You can expect that, I had it for a while but it went away eventually.

~Paul~

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/28/11 1:34 am
I do not know anyone who didn't.
3 years later - I work reallyhard to get back my butt - working out to built the muscles: situps, special exercise, shoes.  Finally I cna sit on a bench for a while and not cry in pain. 
Onc eI lost most of my weight - I had to have a butt pillow, even in my car with leather sits. 
Now - can do without. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dianabelle12
on 6/28/11 1:42 am
I am 9 weeks postop and i never had tailbone pain:)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/28/11 3:33 am - OH
That's because you are ONLY 9 weeks post-op!  The pain comes when you lose the fat on your butt and the bones are not used to having so much pressure on them when you sit on firm surfaces.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

psx chelly
on 6/28/11 3:13 am

Yes I have tailbone pain.. have had it for the past 2ish months.  I figured it was a result of my prior tailbone fracture from the late 90's coming to haunt me...  but I did some searching on this forum and found its more common than I thought.  im hoping it goes away.  its quite uncomfortable.

Kim S.
on 6/28/11 3:25 am - Helena, AL
I got it around 9 months out, then it went away around 1 year mark....I worked hard on posture and strenghtening the core muscles.

Kim

Some people (I think the number is small) have to have it surgically corrected.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/28/11 3:36 am - OH
I had pain for about a year, but as I did some work to strengthen all three of my gluteus muscles (I have a problem with muscle weakness on my left side as a result of favoring that side of my body because of my history of blood clots and my severe arthritis in my knee on that side) the pain went away.

It still bothers me if I sit for a long time or on a very hard surface (like a picnic bench), but nothing like it did before.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views