2 yr follow up appt and tummy tuck consult all today!

Bubblishouz
on 6/10/11 4:19 pm - Fresno, CA
The doc had nothing but good things to say (well at least that's all I clinged to).  LOL.
Starting weight 328
Lowest weight   165
Goal weight      160
Current weight  171
Doctor says I’m doing well and maintaing well.  Says he couldn't ask for more.  Then he says...."oh, your Iron is at a 5 when it should be about 10".  "Take 2 doses a day instead of the 1 dose you have been taking".  Then this is where I failed to speak up.  I didn't mention to him that I haven't been taking my Iron like he told me to a couple months ago.  Because I was told not to take iron with my calcium supplement, I tend to forget to take the iron.  "It's real important you get your iron back up unless you want a blood transfusion.  Besides, I can't perform a tummy tuck on you unless you get those iron levels under control."  Now after hearing that from the doc, I was like I have to do this right.  Tummy tuck or not, I should have never ignored my iron level being low a couple months ago and made it a priority this entire time.  So this was the breakdown of the cost for the tummy tuck: Hospital  $1500 Anesthesia $500
Surgeon  $5000
"Let me palpate your abdomen.  Yup, you have a small hernia near your belly button.  That means your insurance will cover the hospital and Anesthesia fees.  That leaves you with a balance of $5000.  Depending on your insurance they might cover an additional on the $5000 leaving you with possibly $3500-$3800 fee instead."  My jaw dropped.  I was expecting to have to pay a lot more.  This sounds reasonable and I think I can save this much by the end of the year.  I'm going to try really hard to save as much as I can.  This made my day, my weekend, my month.  Haven't talked to the hubby about it yet.  Hope to get the support I wish for.  I can't expect him to be excited though since he goes through a lot when I’m sick in the hospital, recovering from previous surgeries, hernias, you name it, he's had to deal with it all.
Wish me luck!

catje1977
on 6/10/11 4:28 pm - Raamsdonksveer, Netherlands

Hey there!

So good news all around then! start taking teh iron and you'll be up in no time and up for your TT! Good that you do npot have to pay so much, it is within reach for you now..

Congrats on your 2 yr! How are you holding up? Canm you tell us newbies what your rules of succes are, how did you get it all off and keep it that way? We can learn from you!!

Congrats and enjoy!

Ladytazz
on 6/10/11 4:45 pm
 Are you having symptoms of anemia like fatigue?  When my ferritin got down to 7 my doctor ordered an iron infusion for me.  I only had to have one and it wasn't so bad and I was told that I wouldn't have to take iron for a while after it.  My numbers have been great since then, although on my last lab draw I noticed they were trending down a bit so I added the iron back in.  I'll have my labs done again next month and see where I stand, I may have to add more.  The good thing is catching it before it becomes a problem, while my numbers are still good so I can see what I need to take to keep them there.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Bubblishouz
on 6/10/11 5:25 pm - Fresno, CA
@ Catje 1977
I'm not your best WL role model.  I'm sure you know your basics about protein, vitamins and all that jazz.  My opinion and what has worked for me is that I don't eliminate anything from my menu choices unless I can't tolerate it.  For instance if I feel like having chocolate cake I'll have 1-2 bites but not a whole slice.  If I want pizza, I get the thin well done crust with veggies and extra cheese and eat about 1/2 a slice.  Basically I taste a little of what i'm craving and throw it away.  This keeps me from feeling deprived or getting a craving so damn bad that I can't control it and end up eating more than I should have.  Also, I hate to exercise especially running.  So I walk.  Walking 2 miles a day does wonders.  Always remember, Protein first, chew chew chew before swallowing.  Never drink fluids for at least 1/2 hr after eating.

Thanks for the support!  Good luck to you and I wish you the best.  Feel free to contact me if you need support or have any random questions.  Nothing is tabbu for me.  LOL

Bubblishouz
on 6/10/11 5:35 pm - Fresno, CA

@ Ladytazz
You know, I really didn't think me being fatigue had anything to do with my iron level.  I have been really tired but only because of the following:

I take care of my 62 yr old father who is currently living with me due to disabilites after having a stroke (yup, Hypertension, Diabetes, Cholesterol.....)

I provide in-home support services for my mother who is disables after having 2 total knee replacements and 1 total right shoulder replacement due to severe arthritis (total left shoulder replacement due 6/24/11).

I work Monday-Friday 3:30pm-11:30pm as an EMT.

I work Saturday and Sunday at the swamp meet with my brother

My husband and I also have a waterslide rental business

Oh, and how can I forget, being a mother of 2 adorable energetic boys, Sebastian 6 and Ramon 4.

So as you can see, I totally thought me being fatigued was from life it self and not my iron.  You know, my doc gave me (well I paid $35) these chewable iron pills that are by Bariatric Advantage, lemon flavor and they taste really good.  I dont forsee a problem remembering to take them now since they taste sooo good.  He said to follow up in about 1-2 months for my iron.

cajungirl
on 6/10/11 9:52 pm
Congrats on your follow up and good news on TT. Ugh the iron, back to my recent , I've been lax on iron and dealing with it now too.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?