Protein Intake

Reddheadd7
on 6/9/11 7:47 am, edited 6/8/11 8:37 pm - CA
Last night I went to my pre-op nutrition class and I told the NUT that my protein averages about 100 g/day, which they told me I should be at 74ish. Well she said that was way too much and that too much protein can be hard on your kidneys. I'm not sure if drinking water helps that but that kinda bummed me out cuz I thought I was doing pretty good. I've read posts on here with some people having as much as 150g/day. Have any of you heard about having too much protein or issues with your kidneys because of it?

Also - she claimed there was no such thing as "bounce back" weight. In fact, she never heard the term...

ADDED INFO: I just found this:

Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

Tha****er loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

How Much Protein Do I Need?
Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight.

azreggie
on 6/9/11 8:10 am - Tucson, AZ
The way I understand it is, if you have problems with your kidneys first then too much protein could be a problem.  And as far as her not hearing about "bounce back" weight, she must be new.

Reggie

doty_guy
on 6/9/11 8:41 am
 I've been trying to get in 100g protein a day and 100 oz of water a day since surgery and I haven't had any problems. My guidance from my nut was protein 80-100  water 70-100. I did a little body building when I was in the army and I remember that when you want to cut weight, you drop crabs and up the protein so that you don't lose your muscle mass. Seems like she would know this. Maybe someone on here knows something that I don't.
Good luck!
Guy

HW-352                        SW-326                        GW-160                       CW-221
1MO- 298                     4MO-243                       7MO-                          10MO-  
2MO- 280                     5MO-224                       8MO-                           11MO-
3MO- 257                     6MO-221                       9MO-                              1YR- 
MORBID           SEVERE           OBESE           OVERWEIGHT           NORMAL                       
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 9:17 am - Memphis, TN
My NUT told us to get 75-100g protein during the honeymoon period and once weight was stabilized to drop to around 60. A really high protein diet longterm is hard on the kidneys, especially if you already have borderline or insufficient kidney function.
syarbroG-5
on 6/9/11 10:51 am
Now this is gonna sound stupid:  

First, I AM pre-op!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
But all this time when people are talking about their "Nut" I thought they were talking about their Psyche.  Never put together Nut & Nutritionist!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Been wondering what the heck does the psychiatrist know about protein & shakes n stuff!

IN IT TO WIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BugdocMom
on 6/9/11 11:43 am - CA
My NUT has given me a target of 100 grams of protein and AT LEAST 64 oz of fluids daily.

Keep in mind that we experience malabsorption after RNY so we do not absorb everything we eat.
Lizzie S.
on 6/9/11 12:36 pm
I have impaired kidney function so Iwas asked to  have my nephrologist clear me for RNY because of the protein requirements.   He cleared me for up to 120g a day if I needed to take in that much protein.  My plan requires 80g, I am usually at 80-95g and my kidney function has actually improved slightly. 
Lizzy

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 281 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?