Anyone ever lose so much hair they needed a wig?

rbb825
on 6/6/11 5:29 pm - Suffern, NY
I was at a family function this weekend and I hadnt' seem any of my family since the fall when I had 4 surgeries for complication which many of you have read about before, so I don't want to bore you with all the details again.    Well, due to the stress of all that I went through and I am sure some of the protein loss didnt' help I lost a great majority of my hair.  I now look like  a cancer patient.  Granted I have had terribly thin hair for the past 25 years (I am almost 49) but it was never this bad.  The main problem area that I had was my scalp - you could see it on the top and I could no longer wear bangs for the past 5 - 7 years, there just was no hair there anymore.  Well, since the surgeries  the top is almost non-existant and the back and sides are totally flyaway and frizzy = any about 1/4 of the amount of hair.  In April I went to a Passover Seder and there was a young girl (23) sitting opposite me and she kept offering to pour soda for me and then when it was time to go up to the buffet to get our soup and food, she kept offering to go get my food for me.  At first I couldn't figure out why she kept offering to get my food for me and then it hit me, she thought I was sick.  Besides my hair being so bad, I lost an extra 45 pounds making me 20 pounds underweight and from being in bed for so long, I am hunched over and cant stand up straight.  I have to weight until Sept until my insurance will pay for a DEXA Scan.

Sorry to get so off the point, while at this family function I had several family members ask me if I had ever thought of getting a wig.  I had vaguely thought about if but really couldn't comprehended the idea but had several others ask me about prior to that.  So, we talk a little bit about and my sister in law offered to take a day off from work to go shopping with me and even offered to buy it for me.  I went to my nieces high school graduation this past weekend and I was mortified when I saw the pictures of myself with the 2 girls.  Now in about 3 weeks, I have a cousins bar mitzvah and I am dreading it.  So, I am really thinking about it.   I looked for some local places but didn't find too many.  Lots are just names and addresses but I want a website so I can check there stuff out.  Just curious if anyone out there knows anything about it.

grammys_getting_hea
lthy

on 6/6/11 6:03 pm
I'm 13 months post-op and started wearing a wig every day for the first time in my life about 7 months ago. I've also always had very fine, thin hair but after surgery it became very thin on top so I decided to try a wig. I've never had so many compliments on my "hair!" Many people that I came in contact with weekly didn't even realize it was a wig. I would recommend going to a wig store and trying on many styles, and choosing something similar in style and color to your natural hair for your first one. I plan to order my next wig online, as the cost is much less. I can't believe how much time I save each day (no blow drying, curling, etc.)  Be bold, be brave and enjoy life. PS - My profile pic is my natural hair before it thinned out...having problems loading a new profile pic, but will keep trying this evening. Blessings!
grammys_getting_hea
lthy

on 6/6/11 6:44 pm
Additional info: I'm happily at my goal weight of 128, down from 220 in Dec 09. I faithfully take my vitamin & calcium supplements and Biotin daily and get in about 70-80 gms protein per day. My natural hair is growing back nicely, so I'll enjoy swimming soon. At this point I'm still sporting my new "hair" for every day use. If you'll view my profile you can see before, during and after photos.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/6/11 9:35 pm - OH
I know of two people who had WLS who lost enough hair that they needed to get a wig while waiting for it to grow back in.  (One of them did not get anywhere near enough protein in for several months right after surgery.)  They were both "older" (our age or slightly older), and havign teh wigs made them feel much less self-conscious.  One of them found a wig that was so cute that she sometimes now still wears it just because she likes it (and her own hair won't "cooperate" with that particular style).

When I started losing a  LOT of hair again last spring (when the half head of hair that I lost after my RNY was still not even ear length), I went out one day and looked into wigs (but did not buy one).  Raquel Welch wigs are a really good quality and reasonably affordable.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

altheda71
on 6/6/11 11:38 pm - Bear, DE
 I wear wigs all the time in the summer.  It's something that African American women are more adapted to than other races.  But, I've seen some caucasian women with wigs that just look wiggy and then I've seen some that look so good you can hardly tell.  I'd say go with a shorter wig at first....maybe with some streaks of modest color b/c you say you are underweight and you don't want to put a 'heavy' looking wig on.  If you have to buy online...buy short, curly or spiked types first.  Go for it....you have to feel confident with your appearance...and after all you've gone through I would say it's time for a little vanity.  Life is too short.  Shalom and Agape~

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
_Donna_
on 6/6/11 11:44 pm
Coincidentally, I was just looking at wiglets this morning. I thought I might order one before I need it. I know I will need one because I am not getting enough protein in to hold my hair.
Hair loss seems to always comes about the 5 month mark, but can someone tell me how long it takes for it to start growing back?

RNY 5-5-2011

JudiJudi T
on 6/7/11 3:57 am

Hair loss lasts for 3-4 months - so it will start coming back after that.  Slow process though.  I'm 18 months out and my stylist told me last week I have a ton of little hairs growing.  

Wigs are fun - there are tons of options.  Different types of wig caps make for more realistic hairlines too.  Go to a good wig store and try some on.   

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

candie33
on 6/7/11 4:11 am

Yes i am at the 5 month mark and my hair has just started shedding alot. I have a several wigs and now I am really going to be wearing them. I just recently bought 2 more there are some awesome syles out there so make sure you shop around and get the best one for you so that it can look very natural.  I think you should start off short so that you can get comfortable with seeing yourself with a wig.

Wrenegade
on 6/7/11 9:10 am
YES!! I have lost so much hair it is stupid - which (at 18 months) is not growing back.

Wigs are great if you can stand wearing them. Look for a "mono top" for a more natural look. I find full wigs to be hot and itchy. Personally, I wear a "topper" - like a toupee - to cover only the top of my head, where the hair loss is the worst. I prefer the Noriko brand. I order online and have my hair stylist cut and style for me.

Here is a good website: http://www.namebrandwigs.com/toppieces.shtml

Wren    
5'7.5" - HW 265 - SW 220 - CW 103

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 265 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 312 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views