Any advice regarding starting the pre-surgery liquid diet

Sugar Mama
on 5/29/11 12:50 pm - amityville, NY
My date for Roux-en Y surgery is 6/14.  I am getting ready to begin taking the shakes "optifast" 2 weeks before the surgery so that my liver can shrink...and I am hoping I can do it. I am nervous about it...hoping I feel full enough ...any tips? 5 Shakes a day I was told. 
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 1:01 pm
keep busy with fun things to help keep your mind off of the liquid diet. Also a good time to prepare for your downtime after surgery, stock up on things you will needs, clean the house, catch up on the laundry...not so bad since you have an such a great thing to look forward to.
Sugar Mama
on 6/3/11 9:03 am - amityville, NY
 Thanks cleaning up and stocking up seems like a good idea. I found a website called 
Bariatric  Choice which seems to have a nice variety...
ahmerzrealm
on 5/29/11 1:06 pm - Naperville, IL
This will probably be one the toughest thing you do in regards to the surgery. Its not easy so be mentally prepared. Remmber, its about shrinking your liver.  I know of cases where people blew their liquid diet and their livers were too big to be moved....they didnt get the procedure and were sent home  to redo their "homework".

Sugar Mama
on 6/3/11 9:10 am - amityville, NY
 Wow thats currazy....to event think about having to restart this. I have to do a full optifast ...5 shakes a day She told me the best way to do it was 3 hours apart.  Today is day one.....
I can have low sodium broth and/or diet jello
Patti Johnson
on 5/29/11 1:16 pm - Mooers, NY
I am on day 6 of my 9 day liquid diet.  So fa the worst part of it is everything is so sweet. I drink chicken broth a couple of times a day and I save my cottage cheese for later in the evening. My Roux-en-y is on 6/2 and I can't wait! Keep thinking positively because it is for our benefit . I'd rather be a little inconvenienced for 9 days than have th Dr. get in there and find out he can't do the surgery. Hope everything goes great for you !!!
  Patti Surgery date June 2,2011
BW -242 SW-219 CW-204 Goal - 120            
Sugar Mama
on 6/3/11 9:13 am - amityville, NY
Wow...cottage cheese...I can have low sodium broth and diet jello....I brought sugar free jello hope it was the same thing. I pray for a speedy recovery for you...
Heather0115
on 5/29/11 3:40 pm - CA
I think it is important to remember that this is temporary. It is very important to your sugrery to have your liver as small as possible, as your surgery sight is right under your liver. Having to move it out of the way can be dangerous.
Just think 'one day at a time'. I can do this for today...
I agree about staying busy.
Best of luck.
Heather
Heather in San Diego
HW-255, GW-140 CW-141

Sugar Mama
on 6/3/11 9:52 am - amityville, NY
 Thanks Heather ....one day at a time is right! God, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can...and the wisdom to know the difference.
Today is day 1!
JessieRae
on 5/29/11 7:04 pm - NY
I am beginning my 2 week pre-op liquid diet next monday on 6/6 and am also nervous but excited about it. I know I need to do it or it will be the different between open and laproscopic. We can do it girl!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views