I would like to introduce my new friend.........Sangria

vervetoloose
on 5/26/11 10:58 am
Well I knew from the onset that it was a distinct possibility. I was even prepared. Cross addiction watch out it can assume many forms. Over exercising, spending too much, gambling, and drinking.....all can replace the once all comforting eating.  Sorry to say simply knowing about it wasn't enough........

This new friendship started innocently enough. At about six months out I might have a glass of wine when out to dinner, maybe once a week. By one year post-op a glass or two when dining out, and then maybe one on another night , or two nights after dinner at home during the week. Between one year and 1.5 years post op things progressed. Flash foward to Cinco de Mayo out to dinner had the best dang sangria I have ever had and the rest is history. We have become rather close over the past few weeks , Sangria and I. I have pretty much perfected the more potent version  I had at the little Mexican restaurant and find we have been keeping company most nights now.

While I may have written about this subject in a light hearted manner-it is very serious. I am finding that I have been nab by this cross addiction and it needs to stop. For those out there pre-op or newly post op beware this cross addiction thing is a very real entity. I thought I was safe.........

" Oh you who love clear edges more than anything...........watch the edges that blurr."

Ladytazz
on 5/26/11 11:32 am
 You are so brave to talk about it.  Now please, if you can't get yourself into treatment or rehab, go online and look up Alcoholics Anonymous and find a meeting nearby and go.  Don't worry about what anyone will think or let any fears keep you from going.  You have already done the hardest and bravest part, admitting you have a problem.  Now, go and get help for it.
I  have been a sober member of AA for many years and I know they can and will help you.  If you reach out and go.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

vervetoloose
on 5/26/11 11:37 am
Thank-you for the advice LadyTaz., you are so right. This is something I need help with. I don't want ANYTHING to lead to weight regain. The reason I had surgery like many others was for a second chance at a healthy life.

" Oh you who love clear edges more than anything...........watch the edges that blurr."

ronibug
on 5/26/11 11:54 am - Baypoint, CA
Hi, your post made my heart race. My friend had the wls was drinking wine innocently or she thought at first. She had lost her weight she was alone homesick and no one new how much wine she was drinking. But she died as a result of the drinking. I'm awaiting my wls but wanted to reach out and say it could be far worse then weight gain. You took the first step find a meeting and we are all here to encourage you. We have but one judge and it's not any of us. Take care,Roni
vervetoloose
on 5/26/11 12:00 pm
Thanks Roni. I am very sorry to hear about your friend. This is a slippery slope I am on and feel compassion for her who had been unable to put a stop to the free fall I have begun. Your words are important, thank-you again.

Tammy G.
on 5/26/11 12:30 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Weight regain is the least of your worries.  My best friend started drinking a year out from her RNY.  It's been 5 years.  Last year, at a half a gallon of whisky a day, she had a stroke.  A massive stroke.  She's not able to even take care of herself and can barely speak.  This is not a game.  Get some help now.

Please people, don't even mess with it.  It is like the people I know who have 'tried' meth and thought they could handle it.  They couldn't and it ruined their life.  Be smart.
vervetoloose
on 5/26/11 1:06 pm
I recognize there is a problem and am trying to "be smart". Thanks for your concern?

altheda71
on 5/26/11 1:27 pm - Bear, DE
 Yes, Sister girl, just stop.  I too like a little Sangria here and there and since surgery I had to have time off from the stuff.  I think that something triggers from the pain meds when I had surgery (twice in the last year I was given Vicodin and Oxycodone).  The bend towards addiction is easy when one is given pain meds like that.  Well, I just stopped buying the Sangria for a while and now I have it in the house but I don't drink much at all.  Maybe once every other week.  I'm still wrestling with the need for melatonin or sleep aids at night, but I'm getting better.  Going back to goood old reading.

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
ANNI D.
on 5/26/11 1:24 pm
I really commend you for saying this. I know it's hard to do, but I also think I would have benefited from an anonymous group like this i could talk to. Not just people in AA. AA is a good place to start, especially that you are, somewhat, catching this early. It was not a fit for me, but I've never really fit anywhere anyway! I have made my own path and have not had a drink in 2 years or so. In the beginning, it was hard, you grow dependent on your comfort, and I would think about it all the time. I had to make myself not auto-pilot to the liquor store.

I have written some pretty in-depth posts about my whole experience. Go click on my latest posts and check them out. I don't really love to talk about it, but I do. I do it help people not to live through the hell I've been through, so people can know through me about everything that they can lose that they never thought they could, and so people can see that it can happen to anybody. I was and am an intelligent woman, that had a great job, home, friends, men, etc, etc. It happens. End of story. Please read my story and please take it to heart, because every bit of it is true and there's a lot more I could add to it, but it would take a book to write it all out.

Take care of yourself,   Anni
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

vervetoloose
on 5/26/11 1:28 pm
Anni, thank-you for this from the heart post. I am glad you are doing better though it sounds like you have had a very rough road. I am going now to read your latest posts. Again, thank-you from myself and the rest of us who may learn from those who have traveled before us.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 272 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 320 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 338 views