my hair

kaseymc19
on 5/23/11 9:55 am - gatesville , TX
My hair is falling out a lot I'm 14 weeks out . I have a hard time doing shakes they make me sick.. Does anyone have any ideas?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/23/11 10:01 am - OH
At 3.5 months out, this is about the normal time for the hair loss to start.  Not getting enough protein might make the hair loss worse (but GETTING enough protein won't stop it).   You just have to wait out the hair loss phase.

Have you tried the nectar protein powders or the Unjury chicken soup protein powder? Sometimes people tolerate those better than the "milkshake" type powders.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kaseymc19
on 5/23/11 10:06 am - gatesville , TX
thank you so it will just happen?
Jacobsmama08
on 5/23/11 10:15 am - Morgan Hill, CA
You can't avoid it, unfortunately, I am not as far out as you, and I dread it myself, I heard if you make sure to get your 80-100 grams of protein in, and I even take 'biotin' which is for your hair and nails... you can slow it down and perhaps make it not so bad, but you can't avoid it totally, unfortunately. 

Protein suggestions, I second the syntax nectars, I have tried the 'fuzzy navel' one and it's quite tasty, I actually just ordered two more flavors. Also, Isopure , it's a clear, ready to drink protein, 40 g in 20 ounces. Kinda tastes like water with crystal light. I pour half of one of those into my own water bottle with a ton of ice and take it with me out and about. I know I'm getting my 20g and 32 ounces of water if I drink the whole thing in a few hours.  Also, beef or turkey jerky,  is HUGE protein, like 15 g per ounce. Gotta make sure you get one that's moist and chew it really well. But it's tasty, especially after eating noting but sweet stuff, and travels well.

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/23/11 10:24 am - OH
Yep.  Some people lose more than others.  Biotin can help with NEW growth (but won't help keep any of it from falling out in the first place).  The hair loss typically lasts about 4 months.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kaseymc19
on 5/23/11 11:01 am - gatesville , TX
I hope i still have some hair after 4 months :0   thanks for all your help.
SunShine2010
on 5/23/11 11:17 am - Ranson, WV
its going to fall out and stop when it wants to.. mine is still falling out and i will be a year next month.. and i normally get at least 100g of protein sometimes more.. so its just a process you have to go through.. i know i wish mine would stop falling out..

wife2denizmoi
on 5/23/11 2:25 pm
With my first WLS, I never lost any hair, but I kept up with protein to the max, even going over some days. I was told that is why I never lost my hair.

-HeidiG (Wife2denizmoi) 

rlw99
on 5/23/11 5:23 pm - Oakland, CA
It is called telogen effluvium and it happens for post ops for approx 3 months between the 3rd and 6th month. I'm 6 months out and went through it for the past 3 months. It just recently stopped.

It isn't related to a nutritional deficiency at all, so trying to tweak your diet or take supplements to prevent it won't help. It is caused by physiological trauma from the surgeries we've had and unfortunately you'll just need to wait it out - it will stop.

Here are more details:

Telogen Effluvium
Sudden stress relate hairs loss which appears as thinning throughout the whole scalp

Telogen Effluvium occurs when sudden or severe stress causes an increase in the shedding of the hair. In Telogen effluvium a sudden or stressful event can cause the hair follicles to prematurely stop growing and enter into a resting phase. The hair will then stay in the resting phase for about 3 months after which time a large amount of hair will be shed. Often the person involved will have recovered from the event before the hair loss occurs. In most cases the hair loss is temporary and the hair soon recovers. However in some cases the hair loss continues until the underlying cause is fixed. Telogen Effluvium appears to affect more women than men because more of the precipitating event such as childbirth are experienced by women.

Temporary hair loss can be caused by:

Child Birth
Pregnancy Termination
Crash Diets
Severe Emotional Stress
Invasive Surgical Procedures (especially with General Anesthesia)
Major Physical Trauma
Chronic Illness

rlw99
on 5/23/11 5:30 pm - Oakland, CA
I also meant to mention that everyone seems to lose hair at a different rate, some more than others. Hopefully you'll be one of the luckier ones.

I have a ton of hair and didn't notice at all that  the hair on my head was thinning out through this process. I knew it was happening only becuase the shower drain started getting clogged up pretty quickly and i noticed a lot of single strands of hair on the bathroom floor each week...

Most Active
Recent Topics