I have a hernia!

Myfurtureisbright
on 5/17/11 1:48 am - PA
I started having pain right at the site of my incision and I was worried because I am 5 months out and I shouldn't be having any pain at this point so I called my doctor and he told me to go to the ER they would want to get  CT Scan. I found out I have a hernia. And it has to be repaired. Have any of you had this happen? Luckily it is only fat that came through the stitches and not my intestines but it is very very painful. So now I will be having more surgery within the next couple of weeks. UGH

1drmom
on 5/17/11 3:14 am - TX
Hey there,
Same thing just happened to me.... I had a revision to RNY on 02/16/11 and then several months later began having weird pains in my back.  Dr. sent me for a CT scan and found that I had a hernia right in the middle of my stomach.  It was a small one, but those are the dangerous kind and my intestines were starting to push through so they set me up for immediate surgery.  Once they got in there they found I had a 2nd hernia at my belly button.  They repaired both and the surgery went fine.  I was out of the hospital in 3 days and back to work in 2 weeks (working 1/2 days). 

What has surprised me is how much pain is involved in the recovery!  You just don't realize how much you use your abdominal muscles for EVERYTHING.  My surgery was 04/22 and I am still taking pain meds.  I am fine as long as I don't over do it.  I have to go lay down as soon as I get home everyday....after 8-10 hours of being up and around, the stomach muscles get exhausted and then the pain begins.  I recommend getting a waist support band or girdle!  That really helps.  And be prepared to do a lot of laying down...cause even sitting uses your muscles. 

One good thing, they found your hernia before it became a problem.  Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.  Let me know how it goes for you!

Teri Michelena

Ladytazz
on 5/17/11 3:27 am
 I had my revision open and I got an incisional hernia.  I had it repaired a month ago and it was the easiest surgery I have ever had.  No pain, I drove the day I got out of the hospital.  I stayed one night and I could have gone home the same day if I didn't have an epidural.  I missed my 2 week follow up appointment because I totally forgot I had surgery.
Maybe I got lucky but I think it is because I get in a lot of protein.  I get in at least 125 grams a day.  They say that protein helps healing.  I can honestly say that when I got back to my room and looked at my incision it was already scabbing over and within a week it was totally healed.  No muscle pain at all and I didn't have to change my activities one bit.  I almost feel like I had magic performed on me, like the movie special effects where you see a person get cut and then watch it heal over.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 358 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 454 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 442 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views