XP: Reactive Hypoglycemia - How to change eating?

siberiancat
on 5/15/11 2:34 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I've had several RH episodes this week.  I don't eat refined carbs (white flour, white sugar, pasta, rice, fast food, etc.)  I eat meat, cheese, eggs, organic fresh vegs, organic fresh fruits and some whole grains (mostly gluten free).

I don't know what is causing low blood sugars.  Dietician hasn't answered my calls yet.  Endocronologist told me to eat an energy bar when I feel blood sugar is low.

I have had a nausea problem since RNY (and for 3 years pre op).  I don't feel like eating anything after my breakfast protein latte and usually don't want a snack in the afternoon either.

Blood sugars have been in 40's, 60's and low 70's in the 4 occurances this week.  I'm eating smaller portions at meals so I can eat some complex carb between meals (Baby Bel cheese and fruit or whole grain crackers).  I don't want any food - but I'm doing it to keep the blood sugar from dropping.

Yesterday, I did eat a Clif bar (organic - but had 36 net carbs).  I won't eat candy (I also am a dumper) and don't want my sugar to spike and then tank again.

I have never been diabetic and always had fasting blood sugars of 100 pre op and since RNY.

How do you handle your RH?  What do you eat when BS drops?  My symptoms are: "foggy thinking - disorientation", sweating, weak, shaking and short tempered.

It's all I can do to get 1200 calories in a day.  I'm having plastic surgery in 9 days and want to get this  under control.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

poet_kelly
on 5/15/11 4:10 am - OH
I eat five or six small meals a day, and try to include some protein with each  meal.  When I do have an epidsode of low blood sugar (hasn't happened in a while now, since I've been doing the five or six small meals with protein), I eat something with some sugar (like a few ounces of juice, not a candy bar) and some protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

siberiancat
on 5/15/11 9:53 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Thanks Kelly.  I'm going to try eating like you do.  I don't keep any juice at home.  I do have some dried fruit and that is usually pretty high in carbs.  I also bought some nut butter in indiv packets and well as the Clif bars.

I hope that this is just a "hiccup" and under control soon.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 66 views
Recent Topics