Possible conversion to RNY

MARTINA P.
on 5/6/11 3:29 am - ROCKMART, GA
 First off thank you for taking the time to read this and help a current DS sister out.  I had my original DS surgery on 3/15/11 then obtained a mechanical obstruction that resulted in me being admitted started on TPN and having surgery on 3/30/11 for removal of adhesion's.  I had a hard time recovering from mechanical obstruction which meant I had to have 5 EDG's to dilate the obstructed area which was around anastimosis.  I just got out of the hospital again on May 4, 2011 with some news that I am not happy about and need to hear from you all.  According to my Dr.  who I love my stomach is not emptying out when I eat which is a functional problem.  My doctor state that I might have to be converted to a RYN with DS absorption.  I know that I might not have a choice but I want to hear from some of you and see if any of you had this complication and what was done to treat problem.  I'm scared of being converted because I did not want a RNY to begin with because of fear of gaining it back, not being able to be scoped,  and things getting caught in the pouch.  Please help me with advise and hope. If any of you have been converted to a RNY please let me know.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Carrie W.
on 5/6/11 3:36 am - KY
I have no advice to give you but ....

I met you at the hospital!!  I think I was a couple rooms down and I met you in the halls a couple times.  My RNY was on 3/30/11

I'm so sorry things have gotten complicated for you.  I hope things get figured out and you make a full recovery!

Take care,
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

jazzycatz
on 5/6/11 3:37 am, edited 5/6/11 3:47 am - Joppa, MD
I haven't had the conversion, I'm sorry.  I wanted to offer a hug...and edit because of post below.  Totally didn't think of LadyTazz...sorry about that LT. 
MARTINA P.
on 5/6/11 3:50 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Jazzycatz I did post on DS and Revision board.  I thought about the fat that I would have to eat all of the time with the DS malabsorption.  I hope things get better.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

ANNI D.
on 5/6/11 3:44 am, edited 5/6/11 3:46 am
I myself have not been revised to RNY, I did choose it, but I know that Lady Tazz has been. Although she revised to RNY for different reasons, she still did. What they will do, if it goes that way, sounds like that it will be, pretty much, a distal RNY or ERNY. It's when, in simple terms, they bypass alot more than in a proximal(regular, shorter, RNY. Since you already have the DS version of WLS surgery, you will have a "pouch"(I personally hate that term) like an RNY patient only with DS bowels. That means that you will still have a much greater malaborption vitamins and nutrients, but you will have to comply with the RNY diet.

There are others on this board that I hope chime in, because they can prbably explain it better to you, and with more of a technical vocabulary. I hope that everthing works out for you, and as an RNY patient, I am still very sorry that your surgery of choice is not working out. No one ever wants that.

P.S. there is a revisions board on here too, but there are probably not too many that converted to RNY from DS, but there are some.
edit for revision statement
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

laura_vermont
on 5/6/11 3:48 am
We do have 1 poster here who has had a revision from DS -- so hopefully, she'll be around to give you some advice.

So sorry that you're having so much trouble.  I hope you can get it resolved so that you can eat comfortably soon.  As far as some of your concerns about having a "pouch", re-gain can happen with any procedure;  you can be scoped -- the issue is with "blind" procedures -- that is why medic-alert style id's are recommended; strictures can happen - but can usually be fixed relatively easily.  Only about 30% of rny'ers dump, so that may be an issue, but it might not. 

Hope that eases some of your fears. 
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

MARTINA P.
on 5/6/11 3:58 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Thanks for the post.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

cajungirl
on 5/6/11 3:50 am
I know this is a sad time for you.  Just a couple of thoughts:

1)  You'll still have the DS malabsorption so your regain chances should still be better.
2)  Not all RNYers dump so you may not face this.  It takes A LOT for me to dump and the side affect is nausea and sleepy.
3)  Reactive hypoglicemia - may or may not happen.  I'm 6 years out and have have 1/2 doz episodes and KNOW what foods do it to me.

I wish you the best. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Ladytazz
on 5/6/11 4:10 am

As Anni said, I have been revised from a DS.  I had my revision because of malabsorption issues and because I had regained 100 lbs.  My surgeon made my sleeve too large and I never felt restriction and I never changed my eating habits and continued to eat refined carbs, which gave me terrible side effects.  My DS was in 2002 and at that time the vitamin requirements were not as well known.  I honestly didn't understand that white carbs would give me such terrible side effects although I put 2 and 2 together and figured it out myself but I was so addicted to refined carbs that I couldn't make myself stop.  The large amount of food I was able to eat meant that I spent a majority of my time in the bathroom.  My ignorance of malabsorption made me think that if I was gaining weight I must be getting in the vitamins I needed and I became lax on my supplements.  The poor follow up I had meant that I was being tested for the minimum instead of a comprehensive testing.
Anyway, I asked my surgeon to reverse the surgery because of the malabsorption.  I was told it couldn't be reversed, only revised, and my common channel was lengthened to 200 cc from 100 cc.  My surgeon also made my sleeve into a RNY pouch.  Unknown to me at the time he removed my distal stoma*****luding my pylorus valve.  I wasn't happy about that when I found out but what is done is done.  There is nothing I can do to get it back.
The bottom line is that I have no problems from the RNY pouch.  I do dump, I found that out by accident when I had some regular syrup instead of sugar free, but that didn't bother me because I have a problem with sugar and don't need to be eating it anyway.  Perhaps because my stomach is gone, along with the ghrelin producing part of my stomach, I have no problems with hunger and I am able to stay away from refined carbs.  I have no food intolerance's and I haven't thrown up since my first few months.  I can eat whatever meats and vegetables I want.
I do still have the DS intestinal configuration only with a 200 cc common channel I don't have a lot of malabsorption but I still supplement like I do.  To be honest, I don't know how much I malabsorb.  I had a comprehensive set of labs run in January and I will have them run again in July and every 6 months after that to see how my vitamin levels are doing.  I take my vitamins based on the labs I had run and I will adjust as necessary.
Having a RNY pouch is not the worse thing in the world in spite of what you may be told.  My life is not a living hell of dumping, vomiting and reactive hypoglycemia, although many people do have those problems.  Part of it is luck, part of it is because I do watch what I eat, especially the carbs.  I get in about 125 grams of protein a day and limit my carbs to around 50 or so.  I totally avoid refined carbs like sugar and flour.
Given the choose I would have kept my sleeve only much smaller and had the longer common channel, which seems to work for me, but at the time I was making my choices I wasn't thinking very clearly and just wanted to feel better.
If you do need to have the RNY pouch done I would ask the doctor about your common channel length.  I wouldn't want to have a lot of malabsorption if you aren't able to eat a great deal, although your capacity to eat will get better over time.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MARTINA P.
on 5/6/11 4:23 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Thanks for the post I am trying to focus on fact that I will be ok and healthy.  The downside is that I never had the opportunity to actually get to know my DS.  I am scared about the pouch because my neighbor have one and is limited and other people in my community also have one and I do not want to experience what they are experciencing.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 313 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views