OT Food Expiration Question

Ladytazz
on 5/4/11 1:09 pm
I am hoping someone knows the answer.  I bought some Jimmy Dean cooked turkey sausage patties about a month ago for about $5,  which is a lot to me.  Anyway, I promptly put them in the refridgerator and forgot about them.  I wanted to use them tonight but they expired on April 15th.  The package says "use or freeze by April 15, 2011".  I wish I had thought to freeze them but I thought I was going to use them right away.
Anyway, should I toss them or give them a try?  They are vacuum packed and I haven't opened them to check out the smell.  I throw out so much food because I can't eat it before they expire.  I also have 2 lbs of cooked ground beef in a container that have been in there for about a week  or so.  Should I toss that, too?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

lee12197
on 5/4/11 1:32 pm
RNY on 02/28/11 with
The jimmy dean might be ok...u should be able to tell just by opening it up...i dont think i would chance the ground beef tho at this point I have the same problem.

Ladytazz
on 5/4/11 1:37 pm
Thank you.  I hate throwing away food.  I try to buy the smallest quanity of vegetables and stuff as possible.  I really hate throwing away leftovers from restaurants.  I give as much as I can to my dogs.  They have really been getting a lot of treats since I had surgery.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Carrie W.
on 5/4/11 1:55 pm - KY
I had to laugh.  My dog has been thoroughly enjoying life after my surgery.  He finishes just about everything, including the asparagus!  At least it's healthy stuff, right?  The poor puppy is a total bread hound!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/11 1:47 pm - OH
I would toss the beef, but as long as the turkey saisage smells ok and doesn;t feel slimy when you open it, I would THINK it is probably ok.

I, too, feel bad about the amount of food that I waste.  I have a vacuum sealer, and that helps, but I'm single so I just cannot use up everything before it goes bad.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

grmadeb01
on 5/5/11 12:10 am - FL
when you come home with stuff from the store, why not just re pacakge it into smaller servings like in small ziplock baggies, and put in the freezer....then just pull out what you will need for that single serve...i do that all the time....it only takes a few min to put into baggies, if you get them out, opend and lined up on counter....sometimes hubby helps, he holds baggies open while i dump in what i have, and then he zips them....we get it done really quick that way...
as for both of your items..i would pitch, them as i dont let things stay very long in my fridge...just dont want to take the chance of it being bad..
have a great day
debby
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 148 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views