Over 2 years out and dumping getting worse?

Amy R.
on 4/17/11 2:25 pm
Is this "normal"?  I thought we were supposed to start dumping LESS the farther out we get.   Does anyone else have experience with this?  I dump more (and worse) now than I did early out and it really sucks.
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 2:48 pm
I would say that a good proportion of those who dump get decreasing symptoms over time.

SOME... however... don't find it getting better..... instead it seems to get worse..... often leading to late dumping (reactive hypoglycemia) as well

Welcome to the club..

Sucks donkey balls.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 10:50 pm
I am six years out and dump more than I did at first.  I wonder if it is because I do not make as good choices as I did at first.  I realize I will probably always have this, and sometimes I think it may be a blessing.  The reminds me to watch what I eat.

Ruby
RNY  3/2005
262/125/135
hi/lo/today

Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 11:19 pm
I wi**** was that simple.

I do make bad choices sometimes....

but when I dump bad....it's on the exact same thing that worked fine a thousand times before.

It's always worse when I'm sick...... then my tolerance for 9 g of sugar drops to 3 g

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Carla M.
on 4/17/11 11:07 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Oh NO!! Don't tell me that! LOL. I dump on everything! I guess I should just make sure I always make my choices VERY carefully.
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 12:10 am
I think there is no 'normal' with regards to this... each person is totally different.  Some dump immediately post-op, some don't.  Some never dump, some DO.  Some dump at first but then don't later on, some always dump.

I do dump and it seems to be about the same now as it was at first.  It happens less to me now simply because I avoid the foods and behaviors which trigger an episode, but they still happen quite a bit... in fact, twice this weekend I had to lie down after I ate something.  Admittedly, one time it was something with sugar that I should not have eaten, but the other time it was from drinking a protein drink too quickly.  Anything can be a culprit if consumed in the wrong way!

Luckily, I don't get raging diarrhea with my dumps... it's more the weak, heart pounding, sweaty feeling that forces me to lie down for about 1/2 an hour.  Usually after that amount of time, it passes... still amazes me that it can literally go away as quick as it came.  When it first hits, it's like I feel like I'm totally nauseated and I'm going to die... and then *POOF*, it's gone.

Anyway, who knows... it could lessen with time, but it just as easily could stay with you the rest of your life.  Manage it the best you can!  Good luck....

tori
Amy R.
on 4/18/11 12:57 am
Luckily, I don't get raging diarrhea with my dumps... it's more the weak, heart pounding, sweaty feeling that forces me to lie down for about 1/2 an hour.  Usually after that amount of time, it passes... still amazes me that it can literally go away as quick as it came.  When it first hits, it's like I feel like I'm totally nauseated and I'm going to die... and then *POOF*, it's gone.

Your episodes sound similar to mine.  I rarely get any diarrhea or vomiting (although many times I've WISHED I would throw up).  It's the heart pounding, I'm gonna die feeling and the having to lie down for awhile that gets to me.

The problem is, lately I've been dumping on stuff that used to give me no problem at all.  Like my yogurt, which I've been eating every day forever and now even the protein bars which used to be no problem for me at all.  I just don't understand it and it's driving me nuts.  I kind of EXPECT to dump or at least realize I'm taking a chance when I eat something that I know isn't great for me, but to have it come out of nowhere like it has lately is killing me.  I'm afraid I'm gonna get caught away from home and have it happen where there is no place to lay down.

Oh well, guess it's all part of the process. I still wouldn't trade this new life for anything.  Just was starting to wonder if I was losing my mind!

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 202 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 100 views