Hospital Stay From Hell

Ladytazz
on 4/16/11 7:45 am
I can't even begin to tell you what a nightmare these last 2 days have been.  I'll try to give the short version.  I got there at 9 am.  At about 1 pm I was told that there was an emergency and things were running late.  My nerves were shot at this point.  At around 2 the anesthesiologist finally came in to start my epidural.  At that same time my surgeon came in and told me that he was going to have to postpone the surgery until next Thursday because of an emergency.  I was trying to hold back tears trying to figure out all the arrangements I would need to make again and the fact that I let someone use my car for a few days since I wouldn't be needing it.
The anesthesiologist talked to him a bit and then he said he would see if he couldn't manage to finish the emergency sooner then expected he could do my surgery.  At this point I was a wreck as I had to wait another hour or so until finally she came back and said it was a go.
The surgery itself was very smooth.  The hernia was smaller then expected and it was over quickly.  The bad news was that no excess skin was removed.  That was very disappointing.  That was probably my only hope of having any kind of tummy tuck.
After the surgery I recovered well.  My oxygen level stayed at 100%, unlike the last time when it was dropping into the 80s.  What a difference it makes when you don't smoke.  I wasn't terrified that I was going to suffer brain damage this time because I felt pretty good when I woke up.  Last time I woke confused and scared.
They took me to my room where I found out I had a roommate.  Never had one before in the hospital with all my surgeries.  She was an 80 year old crazy lady.  That was a nightmare until she was finally moved.  Then another one came it.  Even worse.  Very mentally ill and delusional.  Was accusing everyone of lying to her and plotting her death.  I was scared of her because she would have these outbursts.  All I wanted was to get out of there.
This morning was bad.  No sleep of course.  And my roommate was suffering from bad constipation.  I don't want to have to talk about what they did to treat it but suffice to say it was very unpleasant being on the other side of the curtain, not to mention the mess they left in the bathroom.  I had enough.  I was out of there.  Fortunately the doctors agreed, as long as I was able to pee after the catheter was removed.  After about 32oz of water I produced the pee and was released.
One of the problems I had was severe itching.  I have had that before after after an epidural but never as bad as this.  I am going crazy.  They gave me Nubain in the hospital and now I am taking Benadryl and it's not touching it.  I bought some lotion with oatmeal in it and I hope that helps.  The pain isn't too bad but the itching is.
And to top things off, right around the time I got home I realized that I had left my paperwork behind because I was so anxious to get out of there.  I can't get my prescriptions filled without the hard copies and they can't mail them so I have to find a ride there tomorrow to pick them up.  Fortunately I have some leftover pain pills from my last surgery so that should hold me over.
Oh, and I got home and decided I wasn't feeling bad enough so I got on the scale and I am up 14lbs from my lowest weight.  Of course it is all the fluid they have been pumping me with but it still is hard to see that number on the scale.  Hopefully I can look forward to those going away pretty quickly.
Other then the itching I feel pretty good and glad to be home.  If anyone has any ideas of dealing with this itching I would appreciate it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Lady Lithia
on 4/16/11 7:58 am
I found that the only thing to help the itching was ice.... Ice is nice is nice is nice ..... my refrain for the two weeks post surgery.... only thing to help... no creams, no benadryl, nothing helped.. Eventually, I was put on steroids (because that was the only thing to stop the progression of the itchiness)
Sorry you had a tough time. I can relate to a bad time..... remember both roomies after my RNY.... second one in particular.... her trailor trash mom was there and I was afraid I'd catch something from her using our toilet.

Never had a roomie who was looney tunes though.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

FleurDeLis
on 4/16/11 8:04 am
I second the ice.
If you don't have an easy way to use it, bags of frozen vegetables can be even better. They conform to your shape and can be re-frozen as needed.
_Donna_
on 4/16/11 8:11 am
ugh, i feel your pain! i had a senile roommie that chewed on her glasses all night and never stopped talking, i mean never!

a cool bath is all i can suggest but with an incision thats out of the question. so maybe some cold wash clothes would feel nice.

sorry honey, good luck

RNY 5-5-2011

ANNI D.
on 4/16/11 8:18 am
Oh, I am so sorry about the crazy roommate because I know how it feels. I once had one just like that, claiming the Dr's and staff were giving her meds in her I.V. to kill her. After awhile I almost wished they would!! I'm glad your home now, that always helps. I think the ice is also the best idea for the itching. Thank goodness for pain pills! Keep us updated!!
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

avidreader
on 4/16/11 8:34 am - Cary, NC
Anni, you have caused me great pain!!  I am a week out from my TT and it hurts to laugh, and I am rolling on the floor reading your comments!!!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
berrixblonde
on 4/16/11 10:26 am - NY
all that waiting prior to surgery would have driven me nuts. hope they gave you something to calm your nerves!
Ladytazz
on 4/16/11 10:32 am
Nope, that is what upset me.  I asked for something when I first got there because I was so anxious but they told me they would give me something with the epidural, which I didn't get until after 2:30.  It wouldn't have been so bad if they had.  I wish I had taken a Xanax before I went to the hospital but I thought I would be getting the Versed and I didn't want to mix them up.

seattledeb
on 4/16/11 6:40 pm
You never get the nice roommate who is quiet.
Mine how about 12 men visiting her. Very interesting.
oh..and STAY OFF THE SCALE!!
Deb T.

Ladytazz
on 4/16/11 6:54 pm
I know that is good advice but I also know I probably won't do it :(

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 163 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views