Question about Heme Iron and Carbonyl Iron

Tobenewme
on 4/16/11 5:55 am - Long Island, NY
Sorry, another vitamin question, I searched the site and couldn't find an answer.  My 3 month labs my Iron was 78 and my ferritin was18.  I ordered Heme Iron from Vitalady.  Should I take both types of Iron or just the Heme? 
Thanks Mary

poet_kelly
on 4/16/11 6:05 am - OH
Just the heme will do the job.  You don't need both.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tobenewme
on 4/16/11 7:46 am - Long Island, NY
Thank you Kelly, I'm still trying to get on a schedule.

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 7:46 am
Sorry about dumb question, but what iron are you talking about besides Heme?

Ruby
rny  3/2005
262/125/135
hi/lo/today
Tobenewme
on 4/16/11 10:56 am - Long Island, NY
I was taking Feosol Carbonyl iron (not the Feosol Ferrous Sulfate I brought post surgery).  Carbonyl is the kind we absorb with our RNY.  It is very good, but since my counts were so low and I was feeling exausted all the time, I got the Heme which should bring my counts up faster.  It is more expensive then the Carbonyl.
Mary

vitalady
on 4/16/11 12:23 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
If that was MY ferritin, I'd do both. Carbonyl + C with fruit, together, alone.

BUT the heme iron can be before bed. Just snap them in half before you take them to break the coating. No vit C, take both halves. Give them 15 minutes to hit the gut before you lie down, of course. I never like to see pills in the esophagus for more than seconds.

They are two different things, both good, and they work in different ways. Kinda like having savings accounts in 2 different banks or something. May as well work every angle.

I take both. My 300 of Tender Iron with built in C an hour after bfast. 1 Proferrin ES before bed.

Last iron in March was 99, ferritin is normally 200-300, but I have a disease process going on right now so it's like 500. But that's not the iron, it's my body. Disregard that as a real number. LOL

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Tobenewme
on 4/17/11 7:36 am - Long Island, NY

I have a little more Feosol to use up then I'm going to switch to the Tender iron with the C (nice to cut a pill or two.)
Thank you
Mary

Tobenewme
on 4/17/11 9:33 pm - Long Island, NY
Could I ask you another question as I am getting different answers from people on the boards.  Which magnesium should we be taking, oxide or citrate or both?
Thanks Mary

vitalady
on 4/18/11 11:49 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Try this memory trick.

oxide = brown (rust) = poop (best I can do)

citrate = citrus = yum = good for you all over

So, mag ox just to free up stool, can be taken daily

Mag citrate for leg/foot cramps, and there are many studies showing that we (people) are chronically short in mag and lab results won't show it until we're fairly well depleted. It helps with bones, brain muscles all over. Can't go wrong, can't OD. WEll, maybe you could, but you'd be at a bottle a day to do it.

So, I take 2 mag oxide and it works for that purpose. I take 6 mag citrate, BUT if I am on my feet all day, I take 2 more before bed.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Tobenewme
on 4/19/11 8:30 am - Long Island, NY
Thanks for the help.  I'm getting ready to place an order, is that the Vitalady Tender magnesium Citrate or the Country life magnesium citrate.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 307 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 80 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 80 views