Hair Loss

browneyes65
on 4/3/11 4:38 am - IN
I hear there is hair loss with weight loss surgery. I would like to know if you experienced it and how much hair should I expect to lose. I already have thin hair and I'm afraid I might lose to much.  Thanks Diana
poet_kelly
on 4/3/11 4:54 am - OH
How much really varies.  Some people actually don't lose any, though most lose some.  Some just a little, some a whole lot.  It grows back.  I lost a LOT and I think it was mostly due to not getting enough protein the first few months.  I lost it from about month three to six, now it's all grown back just fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gmurn
on 4/3/11 5:13 am - Sterling, VA
I too have thin hair and have lost small amounts (as there isn't much to lose) starting at 3 months. Now at 6 months it seems to have almost stopped. I was self conscious about it, but others didn't seem to really notice much. There really isn't anything you can do to prevent it other than make sure you are getting in enough protein as soon as you can. I do take 5000 biotin a day, though there are mixed views on whether it really helps with the regrowth.
  HW 234  SW 222  CW  159  Sur Goal: 175  My goal 140-145                   

fatoldbat
on 4/3/11 6:09 am
i lost a lot of hair.  hair loss started at 4 months post op and lasted for 3 months.  lots and lots of new growth now!  my hair was already thin due to vitamin d deficiency diagnosed a few months before my WLS.  i also made sure i had enough protein, take biotin....used expensive shampoo/ conditioner and so on.....still lost a lot of hair but  enjoying the new growth!  my hair got so thin i was about to go wig shopping.....but....i'd do it again and again because it is so worth it to be healthy again!!
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
rayjack12
on 4/3/11 6:36 am
I'm going through it now.  It is coming out by the handful!!  I, too, have thin, fine hair.  But at least its naturally curly so it does look thicker, at times.  Hopefully it won't last long!  I am going to invest in a lot of baseball caps for the summer!!
ohioh
on 4/3/11 6:58 am
RNY on 11/15/10 with
Mine just started a week or two ago..so at 4 months. It isn't as bad as I was expecting (although if I hadn't been expecting it at all I would be mortified).  I have been getting in tons of protein and I will continue to do so. I get in all of my vitamins and plenty of fluids. I started biotin right away after surgery and I already have regrowth from that.  I am quite positive that my hair loss is not as bad as some have..but I could be wrong.  I'm hoping that it lasts about 3 months like it seems to for alot of people and not longer ...but everyone is different, so I guess we'll see.

HW 270  SW 251   1st GW 170    CW 143       2nd GW 150
 1st GOAL REACHED  170  5/23/2011

2nd GOAL REACHED 150 8/8/2011
MsColorado
on 4/3/11 6:59 am
 I lost hair from 4-6 months out. It was never enough for anyone but me to notice though (not even my hairdresser noticed). 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views