Post-ops 2+ years out-Protein Questions

Amy R.
on 3/26/11 11:25 pm
I'm curious.  I'm still required to get around 120gms of protein per day, as much as possible from high quality shakes and some bars. I know that part of this is due to my crappy labs and the fact that for a while I wasn't vigilant enough about getting in enough of the right kinds of protein.  (It's not just the protein, I'm on mega doses of calcium and iron infusions right now too)

Wondering about other post ops 2 years and more out.  How much protein do you get every day? Do you get it from food or do you still drink shakes? Do you use bars?  Is there a light at the end of this crappy-tasting shake tunnel?  (I know Nik, there is NO excuse for a bad tasting protein shake.  I just hate them all and the only way I've been able to get them down is with minimal water, making the smallest shake possible for the least swallows.  Just me.)

Your experiences please?
poet_kelly
on 3/26/11 11:41 pm - OH
The ASMBS recommends 1.1 gram protein per kilogram of ideal body weight, which comes out to about 1/2 a gram protein per pound of your ideal weight - not your current weight, your ideal weight.

My surgeon says my ideal weight is 140 lbs so I aim for 70 grams protein a day.  That keeps my labs good.

You only need 120 grams if your idea weight is 240 pounds (which I am certain it is not!) or if that's what it takes to keep your labs good.  Is that what it takes for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy R.
on 3/27/11 6:10 am
I don't know what it takes for me, honestly Kelly.  My labs suck and I'm just following my surgeons current orders (as of two weeks ago).  I'm assuming if the labs get better I'll be able to drop back down, at least a little.  For right now though, it's 120grams period and no excuses (his words).

So I was just wondering what other longer term post-ops were up to; how much protein they eat each day and how they go about getting it.

And, nope, Iol, I haven't weighed 240lbs for a while - thank God!  I "should" prob weigh 160, but I currently weight 171 so I guess when I'm allowed to drop my protein down a little it should probably go to about 80grams per day?
poet_kelly
on 3/27/11 6:14 am - OH
Well, the ASMBS says 80 grams would likely be enough for you, once you get the numbers up.  They do have a  study they base that on.  But some people will need more, some less.  Stick with 120 for a month or whatever until you get labs done again because protein deficiency can be pretty serious.  Like, heart damage serious.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary C.
on 3/26/11 11:47 pm - Glovertown, Canada
Hi Amy - I don't do well with protein at times - some days real good - some days not. The only time I eat a protein bar is at the beginning of my shift while listening to patient report - because god knows when I'll get to eat again. As for protein drinks - I'll add the Spekial k2o mix to a bottle of water now and then. It's a struggle - I'm very strict about my vitamins and supplements. I feel good and my labs are good. So I much be doing half decent. Good luck!   Mary

Angie T.
on 3/26/11 11:52 pm - Somewhere, NY
I too gag at some of the protein and yes I've tried many different recipes thanks to the wonderful people here. Lately, I've been using the Body Fortress Vanilla with vanilla almond milk and a frozen light and fit yogurt in the bullet. Sometimes I add fresh fruit. Using the frozen yogurt, it makes it like an ice cream shake.
I love the almond milk!

Kindness Matters  

Angie

KittenLove
on 3/27/11 1:40 am - Around Knoxville, TN
I average 75-100 grams of protein per day but will go up or down based on how the day just rolls or what my current fitness goals are. It has been on the lower end lately as I'm preparing for my marathon next Sunday and am eating a higher percentage of carbs.

I do a protein shake per day and have no issue at all. Mine are filling and yummy. I like bars but unless I get a super good deal on them, I don't buy unless I happen to pick up an individual -- plus, I usually only eat Supreme, PowerCrunch, or Oh Yeah! wafers (can't stand the Pure Protein ones that tend to be less expensive).

After my recovery from the big run, a sign is going across my ass to read UNDER CONSTRUCTION as I'm about to get serious about building it and overall muscle building. My protein will definitely increase

Be happy. 

Lady Lithia
on 3/27/11 2:30 am
All my protein shakes are in bottles like this so I can't smell them:

I drink 3 protein shakes a day, which SATISFIES my protein needs for the day, though I try to have protein forward meals as well.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

siberiancat
on 3/27/11 3:01 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I aim for minimum of 100gm protein a day as my labs are low normal.

I have hot protein latte every morning for breakfast and usually a greek yogurt with protein powder and an apple for supper.

At noon I have solid protein, fresh veggies and fresh fruit.

If I have any snacks it is always protein first with veggie, fruit, whole grain or cheese of some kind.  I don't do many protein bars.  If I do it is usually Quest, Pure or Oh Yeah wafer.

I do eat Kays Naturals protein snacks on the go - favorite is cinnamon pretzels.

I refuse to use the small space in my pouch for simple carbs with no nutrition or junk or fast food.  I'm really getting to be a food snob.  I'm not vegetarian or whole food totally - but eat that way much of the time.  I want to nourish my body with healthy food.  I'm 61 years old - feeling good and want to keep feeling good and have the best health I can.  That's just my take on life at the moment.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

avidreader
on 3/27/11 4:50 am - Cary, NC
At 3 years out I have aimed for 80-100 grams a day, but have upped it to 125-150 for the next little bit since I have a TT planned on April 8 - and I am convinced protein is the great healer!!!

I still have a protein coffee every morning and the world better look out if I can't have it!!!  Also, I make a wonderful chocolate protein shake at night - and supplement the rest with meals.  I have doubled up on the protein in the shakes getting ready for the surgery, though.

I do think I have gotten too much protein, in the past, from meats and plan to seek a new protein path after I have sufficiently healed from the TT.  I will try to incorporate more complex carbs, beans, etc. into my diet.  We'll see how that works out.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 192 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?