Revision Lap Band vs Sleeve? Help

knedelka64
on 2/17/19 7:27 am

Hi everyone,

I originally had gastric bypass in 2006 and am planning on a revision. I had decided on the lap band to help with stretch but I have heard some negative things about lapband. So is the sleeve an option? Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kathy

Amy R.
on 2/17/19 8:42 am

Hi!

I've got a couple of questions before I can answer yours. Do you have a mechanical failure going on in there? Has your stoma stretched? or have you developed a fistula? These two things can be verified or ruled out with some tests your doc can order or run. Or, are you hoping a revision will help with regain?

Also I'm going to put this out there right up front: you could not pay me to have a lap band done under any cir****tances. The bands are not generally effective and they hurt people (grow into surrounding tissue, flip, etc). But. I also know that some people do great with what's called the "Band over Bypass". Not the majority of people. But a small percentage. If that's what you're referring to honestly you're going to have some decisions to make.

Looking forward to seeing you elaborate. =)

knedelka64
on 2/17/19 11:27 am

Hi Amy,

Yes I have had alot of stretch, actually double. I have heard of the flip and having to have emergency surgery, etc with the lapband. She can go back in and make the pouch and opening into my stomach smaller but with my history taking that one extra bite would cause re-stretch. The idea is to have the lap band so we can control the stretch issue. But I also don't want issues. I have completed all my clearances now I just need to decide what to do and what other options I have.

Thank you

Kathy

ladygodiva1228
on 2/26/19 7:07 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I wouldn't get the band over bypass. Instead I would work on why you are taking that "one extra bite".

What will happen with the band is all the good healthy foods like the dense protein and stuff will get stuck and it will come back up. Then one realizes that eating things that seem to slide right through is a better thing. Only problem is that those things that slide through are usually crap foods chips, ice cream, etc. I had the band for several years and at first things were great, but after a few years I started having issues with a tight band and reflux. Got everything taken out of the band, but the reflux stayed. Besides tums eating ice cream seemed to help, but it also helped my gain weight back.

I revised a few years ago from band to bypass and I couldn't be happier.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active