Anyone had a revision from VSG to DS open? How was your healing and who was your...

DeeDee83
on 9/29/16 7:20 pm

Hello All:

I am going to get the DS finally.  I will be a revision from a VSG.  Prior to the VSG, I had a lapband removed due to it eroding into my stomach.  I am considered to be a complicated revision. 

The surgery will be done open, due to my history of severe adhesions from previous abdominal surgeries.  The previous surgeons all faced the challenge of taking down rock hard adhesions.  I have prepared myself for having another scar.  But at least this time, it will finally be done completely.  I will finally be looking at a healthier me in the near future.

What surgeon did your revision?  How did you heal from open surgery?  How long did it take?  Any complications?  How big of an incision did you wake up with?  How long did it take for you to no longer feel pain?  How much have you lost?  And, anything other info you'd like to share, would be greatly appreciated.

I will be going alone for the surgery, and leaving the hospital alone.  I will be flying from the east coast of the USA to the west coast for the surgery.  I will be there 2 days prior to surgery so i can pick up the needed items that I will need after the surgery, in the hotel room.  Clear broths, water, decaf tea, protein drinks etc...

Mai23
on 9/30/16 7:51 pm

Whose doing your revision? 

Really sucks that it has to be open. I'd be hesitant about revising if I knew it had to be open, so I applaud you for your braveness. 

How do you tell if you have adhesions prior to surgery? I'm having a sleeve revision in the near future and I'd really really like to avoid an open surgery. Just by nature of the prolonged recovery period. Scars don't bother me either,  I'm not going to be participating in any bikini contests...ever. 

DeeDee83
on 10/1/16 3:36 pm

Dr. K.  I have to have a video conference with him first.

As far as how do you know if you have adhesions?  I don't know.  I didn't feel anything different.  The surgeon told me about them when he went in.  He said on a scale of zero to 10, zero being minor, and 10 being the worst.  I had an 11.  Only way to have the revision to DS safely is open.  I will deal with the pain.  I'd much rather have the pain, then to go through lap again, and wake up without the DS again.  

I am a quick healer, just have to deal with the pain.

I too will not be in any bikini, ever.

Mai23
on 10/1/16 4:24 pm

I figured. He will be performing my revision as well. I was hoping not to have a d.s just a GERD fix. Though he suggests I revise to a d.s while I am there, it does not really fit with my diet and lifestyle at this time. Now I'm kind of anxious because I figured a tiny funoplication was a simple laptoscopic procedure. But I have no way of knowing if I have any adhesions. Too bad you can't test for that pre surgery. 

DeeDee83
on 10/1/16 8:07 pm

I don't know if they can or can't test or that.  You may want to ask Dr. K about it.  

I didn't feel any different with the adhesions.  I do know that my body makes them fast, because within 6 months, I was filled up with them.  I could be an unusual case, which is the story of my life. 

airbender
on 10/6/16 4:11 pm

good luck to you....you have a long journey ahead of you.....find someone to go with you......

adhesions are identified by looking inside.....

Dr K is the surgeon for you......he will most likely do lap with had assist essentially you will most likely a 5 in*****ision

good luck on your journey to get healthy

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

asapgerard1984
on 10/7/16 11:32 am

good luck im going from vsg to rny because of terrible gerd your in nj why not go to dr greenbaum?

DeeDee83
on 11/5/16 7:13 pm

I'm really complicated.  Dr. Greenbaum declined.

Most Active
Recent Topics