Revision Take 2?

Marianne H.
on 12/7/15 4:38 pm - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

My story is long and confusing. I will attempt to make sense but please bear with me as I am hoping to talk to someone who has been through this! I had RNY in 2011. I never lost to goal, but lost #140 and became quite active. I was a runner and felt really good for about 18 months . I then developed severe anemia and reactive hypoglycemia. My original surgeon treated me like I was a pain in his ass, so I sought a new surgeon's assistance. After scoping me, the new surgeon determined that I had a " sleevelike " pouch and  a very dilated stoma. I also had a very large hiatal hernia. The solution would be a reversal of my bypass and the creation of a sleeve at that time.  I underwent this procedure this past March. I developed a leak on postop day 1 and had to go back to the OR. I was in renal failure and my lungs were collapsing. My recovery was rough. After a few weeks I started feeling pretty good. My iron levels climbed. I no longer suffered from low blood sugars. But I had a new problem. Food kept getting stuck! I would try to eat, get the stuck feeling, drool and gag, then it would eventually resolve. I had an EGD with balloon dilatation every month for 6 months. I have also suffered daily with reflux, requiring max doses of PPI medications, antacids, and H2 blockers. A gastric emptying study now shows that I have severe gastroparesis. Food does not travel through my stomach normally, and in fact one single fried egg took over 390 minutes to pass through. My surgeon says the solution is a subtotal gastrectomy, whereby he will take me back to a RNY. He says that this will solve my issues. I am not so sure. Anyone else been here? I have had a PICC line with TPN, have been off work, and I am sick :( I do not know how to move forward. More surgery scares me, but I am thinking I may not have a choice.

Laura in Texas
on 12/7/15 6:30 pm

I think you need to consult with Dr. Keshishian. He is known for working with tough revision cases.With such a complicated case, I would not let your surgeon touch you without consulting with others first. You could end up far worse than you are now.

http://www.dssurgery.com/ 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Marianne H.
on 12/8/15 7:01 am - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

Thanks for the reply. I just emailed their office.

Ladytazz
on 12/8/15 8:42 pm

I have a subtotal gastroectomy and while I haven't had any issues it is important to watch what you eat if you are prone to reactive hypoglycemia.  I had a few episodes and thankfully nothing in many years but I also avoid sugar like the devil.

The big problem is that if you have this there is no turning back.  You are out of options should other issues arise.  I think the suggestion that you talk to Dr. K is a great one.  You really don't want to lose your stomach and pyloric valve permanently if it can at all be avoided.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active