Band Removal 1.5 yrs ago. Should I sleeve?

C J
on 8/18/14 1:51 pm - , TN

I need advice. I am suppose to start pre op procedure tomorrow. I'm unsure bc I had a Lap band, and it was a horrible experience that ended w removal a hear and a half ago. I'm needing to hear from you guys....good , bad and ugly about VSG. I am a bit gun-shy after my band experience. Input please!!!! 

Living > Existing

256/231/135

kwashington09
on 8/19/14 12:10 am

I had the gastric sleeve in 2010 it was great until it wasn't. All of sudden I began to gain weight, vomit and have nauseau, severe acid reflux, pain, and even aspirations while I was sleeping. I thought it was something I had done wrong but after a lot of thinking I decided to go to a new surgeon for a 2nd opinion. After describing my symptoms he immedately knew the problem. I had EDG to confirm and just as he suspected my stomach had twisted and was shaped like an hour glass due to the way the sleeve was performed and how it healed. I did have sucess with the sleeve losing 90 pounds but I have since regained 60 so I am having the conversion to the bypass on 9/8/14. After doing more research the success rate of the bypass far exceeds the other surgery options for long term success with the least amount of complications. I would suggest the bypass it being called the "gold standard" of bariatric surgery and I know the horror of complications and weight regain with the sleeve and I do not wish that on anyone.

MsBatt
on 8/25/14 7:21 am
On August 19, 2014 at 7:10 AM Pacific Time, kwashington09 wrote:

I had the gastric sleeve in 2010 it was great until it wasn't. All of sudden I began to gain weight, vomit and have nauseau, severe acid reflux, pain, and even aspirations while I was sleeping. I thought it was something I had done wrong but after a lot of thinking I decided to go to a new surgeon for a 2nd opinion. After describing my symptoms he immedately knew the problem. I had EDG to confirm and just as he suspected my stomach had twisted and was shaped like an hour glass due to the way the sleeve was performed and how it healed. I did have sucess with the sleeve losing 90 pounds but I have since regained 60 so I am having the conversion to the bypass on 9/8/14. After doing more research the success rate of the bypass far exceeds the other surgery options for long term success with the least amount of complications. I would suggest the bypass it being called the "gold standard" of bariatric surgery and I know the horror of complications and weight regain with the sleeve and I do not wish that on anyone.

"After doing more research the success rate of the bypass far exceeds the other surgery options for long term success with the least amount of complications."

Sorry, but no. The Duodenal Switch has the highest long-term, maintain weight-loss stats, and pretty much the same or fewer complications than the RNY.

airbender
on 9/9/14 12:34 pm
On August 25, 2014 at 2:21 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
On August 19, 2014 at 7:10 AM Pacific Time, kwashington09 wrote:

"After doing more research the success rate of the bypass far exceeds the other surgery options for long term success with the least amount of complications."

Sorry, but no. The Duodenal Switch has the highest long-term, maintain weight-loss stats, and pretty much the same or fewer complications than the RNY.

ms batts is correct....

pineview01
on 9/10/14 12:36 pm - Davison, MI

Ditto MsBatt is correct.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 8/19/14 5:19 am, edited 8/19/14 5:19 am - Vancouver, WA

I've been here for 8 yrs and while the RNY is a good surgery it is quickly being replaced by the sleeve and DS. Many bypass people suffer from reactive hypoglycemia years down the road and it is miserable to deal with. Personally after what I've read here I would go with the sleeve in a heart beat and if you feel you might need malabsorbtion then go with the DS (dsfacts.com) because they both leave you with a fully functioning pylorus valve which is very important as far as feeling full.

Don't be gunshy because of the band, we were all scammed with that. The manufacturer lied about the effectiveness of it but it has been a horrible device for many of us. I know several people who have revised to the sleeve and they love it, they say it works the way they told us the band would but didn't. If you follow the basic rules of eat protein first, then veggies you will lose the weight. So go for it, it is a great surgery, you might read on the VSG forum to get an idea of how well it  works.

cindyj578
on 8/19/14 8:33 pm - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

Hi Christa, I had the VSG in 2007.  Did very well, lost the weight and was very happy, that is until I developed GERD, acid reflux and bile reflux.  After about 2 years out, I started to gain weight and developed Barretts esophagus .  I was very very ill.  I just had a revision to the RNY on July 29th.  The purpose for the RNY was because of the Barretts esophagus, not for the weightloss.  Although I am grateful to be losing the weight.  You have a hard decision t make.  I loved the VSG, I loved the restriction and the thought of not rearranging my intestines.  But the possibility of developing GERD is very real.  I never had any issues with reflux before the VSG.  My revision from the VSG to the RNY has been great so far.  No acid reflux, no bad cough, no aspirating in the lungs and getting phemonia.  I have a much better sense of well being.  Good luck with your decision and if you have any question, just let me know. 

kwashington09
on 8/25/14 1:12 am

Hi Cindy,

It was great to see your reply. It really calmed my nerves about my decision to have the RNY. Like you my sleeve was great until it wasnt (about 2 years post op). I am happy to know that someone else has been relieved of the GERD and lung aspiration (which keep me sick for months at a time).

airbender
on 9/9/14 12:40 pm
On August 20, 2014 at 3:33 AM Pacific Time, cindyj578 wrote:

Hi Christa, I had the VSG in 2007.  Did very well, lost the weight and was very happy, that is until I developed GERD, acid reflux and bile reflux.  After about 2 years out, I started to gain weight and developed Barretts esophagus .  I was very very ill.  I just had a revision to the RNY on July 29th.  The purpose for the RNY was because of the Barretts esophagus, not for the weightloss.  Although I am grateful to be losing the weight.  You have a hard decision t make.  I loved the VSG, I loved the restriction and the thought of not rearranging my intestines.  But the possibility of developing GERD is very real.  I never had any issues with reflux before the VSG.  My revision from the VSG to the RNY has been great so far.  No acid reflux, no bad cough, no aspirating in the lungs and getting phemonia.  I have a much better sense of well being.  Good luck with your decision and if you have any question, just let me know. 

this is a complication that was very frightful for me with the lab band and my complications, barrets was one complication I fortunetly did not get.   we have to be aware that long standing GERD (as I had with the band) can cause Barrets and when that is a complication, then the best revision surgery is RNY, that is the only reason I would think about RNY, no other, fortunetly with the band removed all my gerd was gone.  some people had a real hard time with gerd and vsg, with the band it is just a given for most people (even those that are not tight)  there is never one surgery for all, hoping you are doing well now....waking up chocking in the middle of the night....don't miss those days....

pineview01
on 9/10/14 12:39 pm - Davison, MI

I have to ask the two of your that developed GERD.  Did they have you on PPI's for it?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics