Band to Sleeve

C J
on 4/27/14 11:35 pm - , TN

I posted this on the VSG forum, but decided I may get some awesome feedback here as well.  I had Lap Band surgery in 2008...WORST DECISION EVER....after many years of misery, and LITTLE weight loss, I had it removed in 2012.  I have had time to physically and mentally heal, and am considering VSG.  I would LOVE any information....good, bad and def UGLY.  I feel this is right for me, as it was my first choice in 08, but insurance would cover.  Thanks in advance for any input.

Christa

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Suzysings
on 4/28/14 2:38 am - Woodstock, IL

Hi, I did the Band first, and for 2 years had no problems, then had a slip and had to have it removed in emergency surgery---I couldn't even drink water without severe pain. A year later I had the sleeve because my weight started slowly increasing.  The sleeve is great--the only problem I have is that my chronic heartburn and GERD was still there, which I knew would happen.  But ove the past few months it has gotten quite a bit worse.  So my advice to you is that if you have heartbrun or GERD, please consider the RNY.  The sleeve will not help, and may make it worse. Now I'm considering having the RNY, which I prob should have had originally!!

May 2007 Lapband: Wt 210
May 2009 Lapband removal Wt 149
June 2010 Sleeve: Wt 171
Goal Wt: 136
Hislady
on 4/28/14 4:26 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with Suzy, from what I've read the sleeve is great but can increase GERD problems. Good luck to you!

DrAceves
on 4/28/14 10:23 am - Mexico

We do many revisions from band to sleeve each month, it definitely is a much better tool when compared to the band. Many surgeons question the decision  to perform another  restrictive procedure ( sleeve) after a failed previous restrictive procedure (band) but results are actually very very good when revising from band to sleeve.  Not all sleeves are the same though  and we also have had to resleeve many patients because of inefficient sleeves done.      You need to have an effective sleeve done. Make sure  your  surgeon  has experience with revisions and has good weight loss results with sleeves.  If you do not have a medical reason to choose a bypass , like the GERD mentioned here, then the sleeve should be a very good option for weight loss.  Quality of life is much much better and weight loss results are comparable to bypass patients.  

Good luck with your surgery. 

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

S L.
on 5/30/14 1:25 pm - Canada

Dr. Aceves , I have read a lot about the different research results on which bougie size is recommended for patients with previous GERD. What is your experience and suggestion regarding the size? Thanks

pineview01
on 4/28/14 8:32 pm, edited 4/28/14 8:48 pm - Davison, MI

I was banded in 2009 and had mine removed in 2012.  I was sleeved in 2013 and am doing GREAT.  The sleeve did for me what I thought the band was suppose to do but didn't.  I am normal now and with the band I was never less that obese.  I have lost 120 pounds since the start in 2008 and had a neck lift in Febuary and am getting my thighs lifted this week, I hope.  I finally feel like I am a success were the band made me feel like I was a failure like always.

I never had GERD pre band but the band caused me to have it.  Once the band was removed it resolved for the most part.  Our center puts us on ppi's 2 X a day for a year after being sleeved, I cut back to 1 at 6 months and stopped at 1 year.  When you first cut back or stop a ppi your stomach actually starts making more acid and many people go back on them and think they can't stop (like my DD) but, once you go 3/4 weeks the stomach cuts back.  I am a year out and totally off with out issue.  This research was posted on the VSG boards a couple times and I wish I could find it and the guy that post it is gone.  Many people could benefit from it when making decisions on which surgery to get.

Go for it!

ps it was my first choice too, my center wasn't doing them yet (started 2 months later) and insurance wouldn't cover it either.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

C J
on 4/29/14 12:06 am - , TN

Thank you all so much for the responses.  My band was HELL, and I am so glad to have it out.... I actually named it Sybil, after the movie about multiple personalities...bc my band had multiple personalities!!!!! BIG TIME!!!!

Living > Existing

256/231/135

pineview01
on 4/29/14 12:50 pm - Davison, MI

Sounds like a good Band name to me

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

fivegrands
on 4/29/14 5:02 am

I had a band on 3-5-2010.  I lost about 50 lbs. and plateaued.  I regained 30 lbs. and have lost 15 of that.  About 6 months ago, I experienced terrible GERD.  I have taken Nexium for many years, so was perplexed.  When it got to where I couldn't keep meals down, I went to my original surgeon and learned that it had "slipped."  He removed all of the saline and said the band had to come out.  We found out that my insurance will cover a "failed band," so, insurance will cover a sleeve, if I desire.  I am in the process of approval for a sleeve and the procedures will be done at the same time, hopefully.  I am ready to get the rest of this weight off.  I'm not getting any younger!  My husband had the sleeve done in 2011 and has been very pleased with it.  Will write more later...

I appreciate any and all suggestions relating to revision from band to sleeve; the good, bad and the ugly.  It's better to know what to expect.

Mary Sue

pineview01
on 4/29/14 12:52 pm - Davison, MI

Congratulation on getting that band out.

Most Active
Recent Topics