BAND TO VSG (IF INSURANCE APPROVES)

ceedott
on 1/2/13 12:51 am - PA

Happy new year everyone

I've been having issues with my band for months now haven't had any liquid in my band since oct 2011 then filled in jan 2012 taken out in 6/2012 been empty ever since. got approved for band removal in 10/2012 bt never happened b/c my primary doctor referred me to a surgeon he knows who deals with bariatric so i met with him in oct 2012 and i absolutely love him had 2 upper gi bc one showed i still had liquid in my band which i had an appt on 12/31/12 and got tortured b/c he had to go in my port to see if all the liquid was out i was in pain and nothing was in there and he agreed the band has to come out.. now my dilemma is with my job i don't get to much time off and i want to get a revision if my insurance agrees to approve me for it but i want to have it all done in one surgery....my band was a gift and a curse bc i was doing great i  got down to 173lbs  now i'm back up to 258lbs i feel like such a failure that was my weight before i started the liquid diet to prepare for the surgery..my next appt is 1/28/13 to discuss a date for band removal hopefully revision as well...

Hislady
on 1/2/13 5:38 am - Vancouver, WA

Please don't feel like a failure!!! There are literally thousands of us who were screwed by the band. It is even being investigated by the government because of the high failure rate! So it isn't you hon it is the band! I think a big majority of folks revise to the vsg and it is probably the quickest to heal from as opposed to the RNY and DS. Some folks take several weeks to feel good again and others are back to work a week later, just kinda depends on how quickly you heal. I wish you all the best and hope you are able to get the vsg like you want remember you can appeal if they deny!

pineview01
on 1/2/13 8:38 am, edited 1/8/13 7:31 am - Davison, MI

Check out the over 600 members on the Failed Band group.  You will see your story over and over, you're not alone.  I too had horrible pain the last two unfills.  The surgeon was going to leave the fluid in until surgery as it was so painful to access.  But, the PA saw I was in so much pain at my surgery history that she insisted the fluid needed to come out.  It hurt so bad I had to have pain pills and I don't do pain meds.  The reason, the port was tipped and totally incased in scare tissue and when they tipped it back to access it they literally pulled on my guts.

My surgeon won't do the operation in one step and he has good reasons for it.  The recovery from the band being removed wasn't bad and if I had an office job, I could have been back to work in a few days.  Not sure how recovery will be with the sleeve but, will be less than the RNY or DS.

Just a note my insurance didn't cover the sleeve until 6 months before I got mine when another guy when against all the insurance person was saying and applied.  Also, they went to a 1 WLS in a lifetime so I was the first to force the issue and won.  (Even though due to my fighting another lady made it thru before me)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

scarlettbegonias
on 1/2/13 9:46 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

As hislady and pineview said, don't feel like you failed -it's all the band!!

my surgeon(s) also won't do it in one go because of the amount and placement of adhesions from the band on your stomach, they can increase the chances of a leak, I also found the band removal relatively easy to get over but will warn you, the port site hurts like a *****!!

in saying that there are heaps of people on here who had it done all at once and had no issues- it really comes down to whether your surgeon will do it.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

renee73
on 1/7/13 8:21 am - Atlanta, GA

Just wanted to wish you good luck.  I am in the same boat as you. I go for my appointment this month too hoping to seek revision. I have a different insurance company now (from when my band was placed) and I hoping the new insurance company will approve the revision.

SW: 278  LW: 189  CW: 215 GW: 160  

Most Active
Recent Topics