Band to Sleeve Revision

C J
on 11/5/12 9:51 am - , TN

Posted this on Sleeve board also...just looking for all the info I can get.

Hello....shame has kept me off the boards for quite a bit, but here goes. I had a lap band in 2008, and I really wanted to LOVE it...at first I did very well, but I kept pushing the envelope until my band was way too tight.  I became so very depressed that I could barely function.  I wouldnt allow fluid to be removed until I had taken antibiotics for an illness that eroded my esophagus...leaving me no choice.  I went nearly 2 years without fluid b/c I wanted to feel emotionally like I did pre band...this never happened.  In my logic I thought I would do baby steps filling my band.  I went once for 2 cc's and never went back.  I have been suffering almost since the beginning with reflux, and as of late had severe midline abdominal pain.  I finally decided that I wanted this thing out of me, and I have an appt Friday with a different surgeon (my prior is no longer covered on my ins).  I am posting because I need advice from folks who have had band/sleeve revisions.  Please give it to me straight...THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY!!!  I refused to listen to any of the negative comments pre band because I was so desperate to lose weight, well NO MORE....I want to go into this with all the knowledge possible...so please...give it to me straight, as I am 250 lbs now, and was only 227 top weight before band!!!!

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Sherrie P.
on 11/5/12 11:06 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Well, I am revising from band to RNY on February 6th.

I was denied revision initially, then peer to peer was denied, but my appeal worked.

Good luck with insurance.

The most I ever lost with the plastic devil was 27 pounds.  I now weigh 18 pounds MORE than my band day.

Best of luck!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

pineview01
on 11/7/12 9:15 am - Davison, MI

Been there done that!  Band is out and fighting to get sleeved.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

brainybabe
on 11/17/12 9:12 am - New York, NY

I can totally relate to your pain (literal and figurative).

I was banded in February 2002 and lost 60 lbs, with about 15 pounds left to go.

I started having problems - major acid reflux, severe anemia, etc.  In recent years I started having MAJOR problems but was in denial since I didn't want to lose my band.

The reflux, inability to sleep and poor quality of life finally got to me and I became DESPERATE to get the alien invader out of my body.

In January of this year I went back to Mexico and had the band removed altogether.  I did not revise to the sleeve or anything else.  I thought I would give this a whirl on my own.  

The band had slipped and caused a hiatal hernia, which in turn caused anemia and irritation of my esophagus.  

Well...things haven't gone very well for me. I've gained weight and NOTHING fits. I am depressed, secluding myself and am totally miserable.

I'm not considering having VSG but am really scared of having my anatomy changed.  What I liked about the band is the fact it's reversible, Thank G-d I was able to have the band removed - it was killing me!!

I'm now scouring the message boards in an effort to make a decision regarding VSG.  

My major concern is the potential long-term health effects of altering my anatomy.  

I'm feeling desperate and overwhelmed by this decision.  

Are there any long-term VSG folks on this board?  If so, how are you doing 5, 7 or 10 years out?  

Alexis

pineview01
on 11/17/12 10:32 am - Davison, MI

You need to go to the VSG boards to find the vets.  May DD is two years out and doing great and my Sister is a year out and looks wonderful.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

120wannabe
on 11/24/12 2:47 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 12/04/12

Christa,

I totally can relate to your story. I just updated my blog if you care to see my story. I will say this. I was surprised when my surgeon admitted that he felt that the "Lap Band Industry" gave misleading success data to doctors to perform this surgery. I was told 3 years ago that the end result of Lap Band vs Gastric Bypass had the same success weight loss after 3 years. Nu-uh.  I told my surgeon that I came to realize that I actually have 2 stomachs with the lap band, a cow has 4. Have you ever seen a skinny cow?

pineview01
on 11/24/12 2:56 am - Davison, MI

BrendaR1965
on 11/30/12 7:06 am - OH
VSG on 10/23/12

i had my lap band removed in july and had a sleeve done October 23rd and im loving it...you will do awesome.  i havent had any issues with it other than it will let you know when you are full and it will let you know if it doesnt like something via dumping, but that isnt often since i researched everything on it before hand...

Most Active
Recent Topics