What exactly is a revision and do they work?

WYMSYKLE
on 2/13/12 10:51 am - Yucaipa, CA
Hi all,
I had rny in 2004 and had lost 140 lbs.  I started having weight issues again after menopause.  I then got married and put on some pounds.  I have tried the 5 day pouch diet about 20 times.

I wasn't losing very well despite being on protien only.  I started having some stomach pain and had a Endoscopy done.  They found a fungal infection in my pouch.  I got some treatment for that and put a few more pounds on from Christmas.  So 2/9 I started having just protien shakes and then went to soft protien and now I'm eating a protien meal and shakes with some veggies.

My endoscopy showed my stoma(?) with 'fingers'.  I'm guessing that means that my stoma is large and when stretched food just runs in.  I had a dual hernia repair and now am having pain from that. My insurance will not pay for the 'treatment of obesity'.  So what exactly is a revision?  How much do they cost?  Is it considered reconstruction or medical and not needed for the treatment of obesity?
Ladytazz
on 2/13/12 2:47 pm
A revision is surgery on an existing WLS, either to fix problems with the orignial surgery or to turn it into a different procedure.  For instance, since your stoma seems to be stretched out, you could have a revision to repair that or you could get a lap band to give you restriction again or you could have it taken down (undone) and revised to another surgery, like the sleeve or DS.  Many people revise to the DS because it's a more effective surgery then the RNY, has better statistics for losing excess weight, keeping it off and resolving comorbidities.  Some people have a revision because of severe side effects such as dumping and reactive hypoglycemia.
If your insurance won't pay for WLS then they aren't going to pay for a revision but they may pay if you are having physical problems such as pain or ulcers.  An enlarged stoma probably wouldn't be covered because it's a mechanical failure and probably not considered medically necessary.  As I said, I have heard of some getting a revision due to severe dumping and reactive hypoglycemia but I don't know if you insurance would cover it.  Your best bet is to contact your insurance.  
Whatever you do don't get the Stomaphyx or ROSE procedures.  They are supposed to fix the enlarged stoma issue but I have heard they just don't work long term and they are just a waste of money.
I don't know what a revision would cost.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

WYMSYKLE
on 2/13/12 11:28 pm - Yucaipa, CA
Well, I have chronic gastritis according to my endoscopy report so maybe.  I have a big problem with hypoglycemia.  I'm currently on just protien drinks and some fish, meat and veggies.  So far no problems with the hypoglycemia. Thanks for the info
inthedeependgirl
on 2/23/12 1:54 am - Lancaster, MA
There is also a small known topic of WLS-hypoglycemic syndrome. Ask about it.
Sounds like you need to figure out medical condition not more surgery
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/24/12 10:51 am
 Reactive hypoglycemia is not uncommon after RNY. I do know people who have revised to the DS and have resolution, as well as re-lost pounds, but the revision is trickier than a virgin DS, and only a few surgeons are skilled enough to do it. Most go to Kesheshian or Rabkin in CA.
Most Active
Recent Topics