Frustrated...Regained weight after Lapband

Nate K
on 5/18/11 12:41 pm - Akron, OH
I had the lapband in 2007 at 16 years old and lost about 80 pounds or so, I was doing great then things started to change. I have gained back all that I lost and then some, I am at a low point and I do not know what to do. I have been too embarassed to go back to my doctor ( who is great and never had a single problem with ) because I had the surgery young and pretty much failed. Now, I realize I need to some how rebound and get back into see my surgeon. I feel like I am the only one that gained weight from lapband and now I am 19 years old. The reason that I had the surgery was to be healthy and to help me achieve my career goal as a police officer. I am not sure what my surgeon will say but hopefully he can help me get everything back to normal. I need to get back on track but I definately need any help, ideas and suggesstions about all of this and if you think it is possible to rebound.

Thank you for your help and support!

Nate 

Band to DS
on 5/18/11 2:33 pm, edited 2/4/12 3:10 am

Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Stacey-71
on 5/18/11 7:11 pm - OH
You are NOT a failure! The band is a fickle device! I applaud that you were able to lose 80 pounds with the band! I never had such luck. There are several reasons why you could be gaining your weight back and in order to get to the bottom of the issue, call your doc! More than likely, you could have an issue with the band itself! I had a band placed in 2008 and currently am revising to RNY on Monday, 05/23/11! My band journey was not a pleasant one! I had a slip, well two slips! My first slip was only 7 mns out from surgery and really, I have struggled every day since.
BUT, it is NEVER too late to talk to your surgeon and make some decisions about your future. I think you will be surprised at how "understanding" our surgeons can be, especially with regards to the band. I bet you'll find that your surgeon is seeing a lot of failure regarding the band! Just take the first step and get yourself back to the loser's bench!!
Best of Luck to You!
Stacey,
Holly O.
on 5/18/11 10:39 pm - Bradenton, FL

Please don't feel bad, it has happened to thousand's of us.  I had the lapband Nov. 2006 initially lost 30 lbs. and have gained it all back plus.  I have had fills, unfills, tweeks, here and there with no success.  This surgery isn't for everyone, including me.  I see my surgeon on Monday.......I am having a revision.......from the band removal to the RNY.  I have everything done.........research, and have attended different seminars.  When I had the lapband done the surgeon I used only did lapband so I wasn't very educated as to my choices.  My new surgeon explained the differences between all of the surgeries.......and it hit me like a ton of bricks..........I needed more than a lapband........that was only a restriction technique.  So I stopped beating myself up and started to research other options.  Now this Monday when I arrive in his office we can have a good consult.

Hang in there and go back to your surgeon and be honest with him.  Good luck, o.k.

Nate K
on 5/19/11 2:11 am - Akron, OH
Thank you guys for the support and your advice. I am going to call my surgeon now to set up an appointment and work to get back on track. Thank you again
pandavenise
on 5/19/11 3:11 am
 Please don't beat yourself  up I too had the band and only lost 30 lbs in the last two years  and have gained back 10 of the 30 lb lost. I have never been able to get to the right spot either. If I get fills I throw up but yet not enough restriction to work. I saw my surgeon this week and they told me don't beat yourself up close to 50% of people the band doesn't work for and they do every kind of surgery in that office. I hadn't been back to the dr  7 mths so now I am going to have the RNY done soon I just have to complete some test to make sure I am okay for surgery. Good luck  and  I am sure surgeon will understand. Good luck and keep us informed.

Most Active