RNY revision due to ulcer

laura_vermont
on 4/4/11 11:56 pm
I'm posting for my Aunt, who is 3-4 years post op RNY.  She is happy with her weight - maintaining a comfortable size 12 - but her doctor wants her to revise due to an ulcer.  He has suggested making her pouch smaller.  She is really afraid of the pain & recovery time. 

Does anyone know:

Her 1st surgery was open - would this be open too, or could it be lap?

Could she look at having a revision to sleeve instead of tiny pouch?  (she does not want a DS - we have multiple family members who have DS - so she is aware of it)

Anyone else go through this, I would love to pass along some encouragement? 

Thanks so much for your help!
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Farrah W
on 4/12/11 9:25 am - Tallahassee, FL
I had an RNY revision due to ulcer in 2009. I had my original sugery Lap. My revision was done by a different doctor since we had moved out of state, and said since he didn't know what he was up again, he wanted to do my revision Open. I think it all depends on what the surgeon is more comfortable with. I was in the hospital for 5 days and had 8 weeks off work. I had a lot of pain - but turned out the pain meds were causing most of my pain so that's different.

Why doesn't she want  a smaller pouch? I only lost 20 pounds after my revision, and after starting to eat normal foods again I gained it back.

I felt better ulcer-wise immediately. no more burning pain, no more nausea, no more bloating, no more stabbing pain.

Please spay and neuter your pets!
smileyjamie72
on 4/15/11 10:00 am - Palmer, AK

I understand about your aunt being aware of the DS.  That is great, so, she is just exploring the option of the 'tummy' portion, correct?  RNY pouch to sleeve.

My understanding is that is the hardest part of the revision surgery, due to possible leaks.  Most docs do not mind so much of the intestional portion of surgery, it is the stomach they generally will not touch.  Such HIGH RISK associated with that.  That most of them will not attempt it at all.  Please do not get me wrong....... There ARE doc's who WILL do a pouch to sleeve surgery, but only a handfull throughout the U.S............. So, I suspect that if your aunt goes to her surgeon he will try & talk her into re-doing her pouch, because that is his limitations.

Try this link, and contact the docs on this link & ask them SPECIFICALLY about going from RNY poch to sleeve ONLY.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4372592/Repost-RN Y-to-DS-revision-surgeons/

Hope that helps!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active