did anyone get pregnant after a tummy tuck?

MeliT
on 10/20/14 10:53 pm - Miami, FL

i'm in this ****ty place right now where i've worked my ass off to get to the point where i can have the panniculectomy but my doc suggests a full tummy tuck bc my upper stomach is so stretched out. hey i would love to get the whole thing done. he says that getting pregnant won't ruin the work but every other doctor i've heard from online says yes it will. so now i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. bc i've spend all year working on myself and improving myself inside and out and my husband and i decided we weren't gonna try for kids till the end of NEXT year. so next year was supposed to be my year to really live life and enjoy my new body before starting this whole motherhood thing again. the thought of suffering with this pannus for another year is unacceptable. but i don't want to have to have 2 surgeries. and also i know if i just get the bottom done it will be a let down bc the top still sticks out. :/ i guess i was just wondering if anyone has been through this and what their outcome was.

civilmomma
on 10/22/14 6:26 am
VSG on 03/07/14

so say you get your tummy the way you want it - flat and tight.  A pregnancy WILL cause your belly to grow and change - it could result in stretch marks - it could result in stretched out loose skin in the end.

I don't think a doctor could guarantee you that a pregnancy wouldn't leave you dis-satisfied with your appearance again.

If your excess skin really bothers you NOW and you aren't planning a pregnancy until later - proceed with your plastics - but know that there is no guarantee that you will love how your belly looks after a pregnancy.

I always planned on completing my family before investing in plastics - but I am not that bothered by my appearance either.

Check out the plastics board...there has to be some people who were pregnant after plastics. 

Good luck with your decision!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

MeliT
on 10/22/14 10:32 am - Miami, FL

thanks for responding. i did ask but no one seems to have gone through this.

for me my pannus REALLY bothers me. i've suffered with it forever. i always planned to have it removed. but a doctor i saw told me i should get a full TT. i plan to try for another kid in late 2015. at first i was just gonna do the panniculectomy and save the rest for later bc i could LIVE WITH everything else. but i have to be honest, the thought of getting everything done really appeals to me. i know i would end up with stretch marks. i don't mind. my entire body is covered in stretch marks. very little of my skin isn't stretched. the damage ive done to my body from being 5ft tall and almost 300 is way worse than pregnancy could do to me. i feel like i could deal withe the stretch marks and the pooch. i don't need to be perfect i just want to be normal. know what i mean? just want to start from scratch. whatever happens after that i'm fine with. i'm so sick of not living my full. life. i've waited 4yrs for plastics. i don't wanna wait another 3.

i guess i'm leaning towards the TT. but my concerns now turn towards the possible discomfort or pain with being tight and with the incision.

Zee Starrlite
on 10/23/14 7:38 am, edited 10/23/14 7:56 am

Hi Meli!

If you do a search on here, you will find that there are lots of posts regarding this subject "pregnancy after tummy tuck" - I think you'll even find some from me.

It seems that your stomach will go back almost as flat as it was (weight if gained seems to redistribute in other places).  It takes longer for you to "show".  Your stomach also can feel tight as you are going along in your pregnancy.  The thing is you're a "shorty" and that really does not leave the baby much space??? I would think the pregnancy would stretch you more.  I don't know.  You'll have to take your chances.  

The point is,  being pregnant after a TT  has been done over and over again and you will be fine with a pregnancy after a full tummy tuck - muscle tightening and all.  Just do not get pregnant too soon post TT even though people have (I don't think they were comfortable).

Glad you are doing so well.  You deserve all the best!!!

Be well,

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

MeliT
on 10/23/14 10:14 am - Miami, FL

Leila thank you SO much for that response! i do so appreciate it!! interesting point about my height. never thought of that before. i was planning on "trying" for baby #2 about 9 months after when i plan to have the TT.

cdnov26
on 11/3/14 8:48 am - MA

Hi,

I had a panniculectomy a few years ago.... currently have an almost 5 week old... now I didn't have a full tummy tuck but I can share my experience with having had a panniculectomy.  My scar runs from just under my nipples down to pelvic region and across some (I chose this type vs the full scar that would have gone around my whole body-- was told better healing, etc.)....

During pregnancy my scar really bothered me had to keep it very moist with creams.  My belly-button (which has been repositioned) often felt like it was on fire (about 6 months and beyond).

All of that seems to have gone back to its places now.

MeliT
on 11/3/14 8:51 am - Miami, FL

I'm confused. You didn't have a full tummy tuck but your scar is under you nipples?

cdnov26
on 11/3/14 8:57 am - MA

Maybe the better way to describe it is an upside down T.... the vertical scar stops about just under the nipple line.  At least where I had my surgery done there were two ways they could do it... an upside down T or around the entire body (as the dr said- so they open you like a can).. I chose like a T because was told it would heal better, etc.

MeliT
on 11/3/14 9:06 am - Miami, FL

Yes the Fleur de Lis. But why if it's just the panniculectomy? If I was gonna get that I would do the whole thing. 

Was as it a bad pregnancy? Or just uncomfortable?

cdnov26
on 11/3/14 9:11 am - MA

I don't know why they chose that way, but they really tightened my skin, otherwise at least where I had it done had a scar running around my whole body.

It was just a bit uncomfortable at times... a few spots were worse then others because of the healing issue I had when I had the penniculectomy.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1276 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views