Meet Amaliyah Joy! <3

Celia S.
on 1/14/14 10:21 am, edited 1/14/14 3:00 pm - Grand Junction, CO

Hi, ladies! Just popping by to let you all know that my baby girl has arrived. She was born yesterday morning at 5:35 am via c-section. I went into labor just after 11pm Sunday night and checked into L&D around 2am yesterday. After getting changed and hooked up to all the monitors, it was 3am before they checked my cervix and I was only at 2cm and 50% effaced. I started to think they were going to send me home, but they told me to walk around for an hour and a half and come back to my triage room at 4:30 to be checked again. After 30 minutes of walking, I could no longer walk through the contractions so I went back to my room and got on the birthing ball. Right before 4am, I had three horrible contractions in a row that were only a minute apart tops. I called the nurse in telling her I thought I should be checked sooner than 4:30. When she checked me again, all she could tell me is that I had 'definitely made progress' but she couldn't tell me exactly how dilated I was and then asked if I knew if baby was breech or vertex. She was vertex at my doctor's appointment just last Tuesday (the 7th), but the nurse said she thought she felt a knee or a foot down at my cervix instead of a head. After a quick scan, it was confirmed that my little firecracker had flipped from vertex back to breech since Tuesday. The resident OB then checked my cervix and said that she was pretty sure I was complete, but couldn't tell exactly since she couldn't feel the other edge of my cervix beyond the foot (or whatever it was down there).

So I seriously went from 2cm to 10cm in ONE HOUR! Talk about a fast labor! I was really glad I didn't stay home like I was wishing I would have while I was walking the hallways. Because she was breech, though, I had to fight all of the urges to push while they prepped me and took me back for an emergency c-section. I totally feel like a rockstar, though, because I pretty much had the all natural labor and delivery story that I wanted to try to have but doubted my ability to complete.

Baby girl had some hypoglycemia issues right off the bat, so she had to be taken to the NICU to have a sugar water IV started. She is doing great with her sugars now, but further testing yesterday revealed a bacterial infection that she now has to be treated for. So she will be in the NICU at least a week so that they can administer antibiotics. Could be longer depending on what even more tests reveal. Prayers would be appreciated. As for me, I am doing good. In lots of pain. I would never choose to do this over a vaginal delivery if there was no really good reason to warrant it. I'm pumping every 2-3 hours and nursing her in the NICU as often as I can so that my milk still comes in. And as far as I know, I will be headed home tomorrow.

I will, of course, leave you with pictures of my petite princess!

Sherry-Lynn L.
on 1/14/14 11:36 pm - Barrie, Canada

She is Beautiful & Congrats.  What a Birth Story!!!  Glad everything turned out good though.  Prayers are sent for you and Babes for both of you to have a speedy recovery.  Welcome to the world little one!!!

Sherry-Lynn   

DD July 9th, 2012 7lbs 1oz

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Celia S.
on 1/15/14 4:59 am - Grand Junction, CO

Thank you, Sherry! :)

Further test results indicate that the test yesterday was a false positive! I was not expecting those results even though I knew it was a possibility because the neonatologist said it was rare that it was a false positive or that it was the result of a contaminant on the skin or something which is the case. So WONDERFUL news this morning! And since she has been doing good with her blood sugars since yesterday, they let her out of the NICU around noon today! I'm so happy! My baby will likely be going home with me tomorrow afterall!

Valsdetermined2lose
on 1/16/14 7:43 pm

Congrats!! She is Beautiful!!

HW-267-SW-253-CW-167 I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

Paula622
on 1/21/14 9:08 am

Congrats!  She is beautiful!  Glad t hear you're both doing so well.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

claudiaes
on 4/21/14 3:30 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

congrats!!! she is so beautiful

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1262 views