Lurker

KendraB1
on 2/25/13 12:26 am - DE
RNY on 11/05/12

Hi,

I have been lurking on this board ever since I signed up for OH. Mostly because one of the top reasons for having surgery is so I can be healthy enough to have childrenkiss. My hubs and I are not yet ttc. I just had my surgery in Nov 2012. But the weight is coming off and I hope in the next 12 months or so we'll be given the ok to start trying. I do have a question for those of you who have already birthed babies after WLS: did any of you have a natural childbirth? I ask because a friend who also had RNY was told by her cardiologist that she would have to have C-sections if she ever had kids after WLS because of the pushing, and I have not been told this. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

Have a great day,

Kendra

Rebecca S.
on 2/25/13 12:48 am - Platteville, WI
RNY on 12/14/04 with

There have been tons of WLS patients who have natural births!  I had laparoscopic RNY and a natural birth with zero complications!  (Except a pretty good size tear during birth...had stitches and no problems after!).   Maybe surgery type has something to do with it (and maybe open vs lap.). But there are lots of ladies on here who have had no issues!   

Good luck when you are ready! :)

Becca laugh-9/2007laugh-10/2012 (Forever in our !)

Lilypie - (pVjW)Lilypie - (Trlr)

SassySamara
on 2/25/13 12:53 am - San Antonio, TX

The WLS in and of itself does not predispose you to need a C section. I delivered my son vaginally with no out of hte ordinary issues and plan to do the same with this baby. Two separate body systems: gastro versus reproductive. Now your friend may have heart issues that require her to have a c-section due to not being able to withstand labor and/or delivery (pushing) if she has a heart condition, but that would be separate. Other issues would be things like a breech baby or maybe if you know you had a previous c section and want to do it again. 

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

twert80
on 2/25/13 12:53 am

I had a VBAC after WLS  so there is no reason for c-section after WLS unless there is an underlying condition.  Good luck in your journey and congrats on your weight loss.

Tiff

KendraB1
on 2/25/13 12:57 am - DE
RNY on 11/05/12
Thank you, thank you, thank you! That didn't sound right to me so I am pleased to know it is not necessarily true. I think she'll be happy to know too!
Paula622
on 2/25/13 12:43 pm

I had a c-section pre wls and a vbac post wls.  If anything, my weight loss helped me have an easier delivery.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Lianne C.
on 2/25/13 11:27 pm - Garden City, MI
Mine was natural as well. No complications. I heard about that as well, some OB's are just not educated enough with any Gastric Bypass surgery. I changed over to a dr that had a lot of knowledge of RNY and post op pregnancy!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
stanggirl89
on 3/24/13 10:26 pm - DE

Yes! I think that is the problem that most docs are not educated enough with gastric bypass. I recently went to a cardiologist and was told i need to add Gatorade and potato chips to my diet..umm thats completely opposite of what gastric bypass permits..so needless to say i called my surgeon to make sure that it was ok to listen because i was mad. LOL

May 16, 2012

HW:345 SW:329 GW:200(Jan 30,2013) 

KendraB1
on 2/27/13 12:33 am - DE
RNY on 11/05/12

Thanks for the replies ladies!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1275 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views