Question about Csection with major panni??

mandajolyn
on 1/1/12 3:45 pm - Tallahassee, FL
So the possibility of a Csection is looming and for me it's a last resort. My question is, with all the extra skin how does that affect not just the Csection but the healing after? I have a HUGE panni (hangs to mid thigh) after loosing 200+ lbs and I'm worried if they do have to do surgery to get baby, would there be extra issues with the scar being tucked up under all the extra skin?
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

RachelRN
on 1/1/12 7:38 pm - Noblesville, IN
I am scared of this possibility too because inevitably the risk of infection would be higher and it would be very delicate to care for, not to mention very uncomfortable. The only information I can offer is that I know for moms with an obese abdomen (not just saggy post wls), sometimes the doctors will do an incision on the top part of the fold (sometimes even above the belly button if saggy enough). I guess it will all come down to the doctor's preference. Good luck! Hopefully it won't come to that!
amykic
on 1/1/12 9:15 pm - spencer, MA
I had 3 c-sections and have a lot of extra panni hanging. I had staples and never any problems with healing or pain. After showering I would use a blow dryer on it and then a gauze strip to wick any moisture. Also if you can I would air it out to help dry it.

Make sure to up your protien which will help with the healing.
Get plenty off rest also.

Lilypie - (yMzl) 
Lilypie - (G8Gh) Little Angel  8/14/09  ectopic

Amberlee2002
on 1/1/12 9:54 pm - Skowhegan, ME
i had to have a  c-sections on 11-21-11 and because of all the extra skin they did the c-section up and down as they didnt want it to be a probelm healing up from the other way ... Good luck

Amber R   Befor Surgery 379/Surgery day 369/Current 225

Lilypie - (cQ91)

sjburt1
on 1/2/12 4:29 am
They taped my skin up for the surgery! Incision below the panni and 10 staples. No healing issues. There was a ton of edima (water retention) in the panni. That was painful, but I wore cotton pants/shorts until I was about 5 weeks out. It wasn't bad. I asked about a vertical incision or one above the skin and the Dr said there was more healing trouble with those than going under! I spent a total of an hour or more every day letting it air out. I used....ab pads (i think they were called) so the staples didn't get caught on anything and my clothes didn't get ruined by any drainage. Good luck!
Stephanie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Jennifer H.
on 1/2/12 4:53 am - stockton, CA
No issues for me and to be honest it hurt less this time then from my first when I had less fat there.I think it helped this time with less pain and was able to move sooner.Dr will watch it before you go home and just keep rinsed and light dry it dont let it get to moist.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

mandajolyn
on 1/2/12 5:07 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thanks! I'll be bringing it up at my appointment tomorrow! I'm hoping/planning for vaginal delivery but realize C-section may happen.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

plusizedbarbie
on 1/2/12 6:52 am - Manahawkin, NJ
mine is pretty small but i do still having hanging skin and I had no issues with my c-section scar.  the key is to keep it dry and like Amy said, a hairdryer and gauze  works well.
MY WLS RECIPE BLOG!  -- Check it out http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (vbmr)    Lilypie - (fb9N)

Changed for good
                            ...september 17, 2007...

Brooklynnsmom
on 1/2/12 12:18 pm, edited 1/2/12 12:19 am - Bellevue, NE
I have had 2 post-op babies, and I too have a fairly large panni. After having a NIGHTMARE recovery from my cesection (involving a wound vac and a open wound for almost 7 weeks) I actually changed OB/GYN''s and my new OB for my son does a different type of c-section rather that the typical c-section for those women who have the large panni. He did my incision about 2 inches below my belly button AND put in a drain tube. He left the drain tube in for 10 days. This resulted in almost no problems. It was NOTHING compared the previous problems I before!!!! If you have that large of a panni, I would definately recommend seeing if your OB can do a incision up higher. It worked for me.

Debbie
pokie123
on 1/3/12 3:27 am - Quincy, FL
we have the same drs  dr.ramsey did my csection they just tape the extra skin. It can be done.  You will be fine.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1275 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views