Weight Loss after pregnancy??

tuckergirl
on 10/16/11 6:32 am - Canada
 I am 9 weeks post VSG and I am down 50 lbs.

I have a 6 yr old daughter and have been trying since she was born to have another baby...but my PCOS had other plans.

I hadn't had my cycle for 3 years but have now had it twice since my surgery and believe that I can actually tell when I ovulate too.

I know I should wait to get pregnant but with our track record I would really like to start trying.

Is it selfish that I can't stop thinking about the weight I will gain when pregnant and scared that I won't be able to lose it again and will be back at square one and the surgery would be for nothing???

Any advice? Have any of you had a baby post op? What was it like to lose weight after?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Ticker id: tnRU

cutie3pie5
on 10/16/11 10:29 am - Lexington, SC
Hi Tucker, I've been lurking on this board for a little bit and saw your post and wanted to at least try and give you some comfort.

I had Gastric Bypass over 6 years ago and just had my first baby back in June.  I was completely terrified about gaining weight during my pregnancy, however, I had to keep a level head and be okay with gaining some weight as I firstly wanted to have a healthy pregnancy but also wanted to stay positive and happy to have a beautiful pregnancy.  I've been VERY lucky, I got both.

I had an amazing pregnancy and a very healthy pregnancy.  I only gained the weight I was supposed to under the direction of my doctor's, they were very pleased with my progress.  And I stayed positive and Relaxed (this is Extremely important).  I didn't eat whatever I wanted, I did what the doctors told me which was to incorporate about 200-300 extra calories into my daily routine, which I did by means of fruit and healthy snacks, salads, etc.  Now I will be completely honest, there were moments I indulged, I splurged, enjoyed a decadent meal/dessert, this is normal!!  :)  I didn't beat myself up or critcize myself (I see this alot among current pregnant women - non post-op).  Moderation and balance, everyone is different and will find their own. :)

Now being postpartum, I'm really trying to lose the last few pounds that I put on (10 pounds).  My doctor's say it's completely normal to go through this and that it will take up to 10 months for my body to recoup from pregnancy and labor.  I'm trying to relax and get back to my normal routine, finding my balance has it's challenges with a newborn (SOO worth it though!! my DD is amazing)  I think my biggest issue is I do wish some of my clothes fit so I don't have to buy more (financially just can't right now) But it's motivating too.

I'd be VERY interested to hear other's stories about weight loss after pregnancy and what different things worked for people.  My body has definitely changed, and my hormones and such are affecting things differently now.  I'm determined to find my "new" balance, and would love to hear about others too.

Word of advice - VITAMINS!! Do Not Skimp on these.  Very Very important.  :)

Keep us posted!

~Shannon
tuckergirl
on 10/16/11 12:39 pm - Canada
THANK YOU!!! :)

this baby fever has been sitting for a while.
and i think this might just be the time.

let me know how it goes for you!!

gazelle81
on 10/23/11 3:47 am
 Hey Shannon
I'm 9 weeks pregnant and I am wondering about prenatal nutrition post WLS. I'm confused if I should be eating like a person with a normal stomach or like the post GBS person that I am. Should I be eating 2000 cal a day? 1200? 1500? How much protein? Should I try to eat more carbs? I can't eat too many because I dump pretty easily still. I liked your advice about staying level-headed and about NOT eating whatever you want. Can you tell me  a little more about your prenatal eating plan?

cutie3pie5
on 10/23/11 7:34 am - Lexington, SC
Hi Gazelle, congrats on being 9 weeks!!!  That's wonderful. :)

I too had the same questions when I first found out I was pregnant.  What worked for me was eating and staying on my routine, but including an just extra 200-300 calories a day (after talking with my doctors). 

I did my regular meals, focusing on high protein (which is GREAT for baby) and ate a lot of fruit (craved pineapple like crazy) and incorporated a few more snacks like trail mix, granola, and indulged just a bit (sugar free ice cream treats, etc.)  I definitely suggest you staying with what you are doing but just incorporating some snacks that you really like.  High protein is great, fruit & veggies are great, good carbs are important for energy, and baby will get everything they need. 

It's okay to satisfy your cravings, but doing it with balance.  In my 7th month I craved peanut m&m's bad.  I didn't eat them by the bagful, but would have 4-5 to get me through, and I dump on sugar and sweets, so I couldn't do a lot of those things, but indulged just a bit when a really strong craving came along.  

I stayed pretty active (walking, busy at work, etc) and it was encouraged by my doctors, but didn't start any "new" exercise program or anything extreme.

One thing I can't stress enough is vitamins though.  Everyone is different with their vitamin absorption, and baby does get what she/he needs, but it's really really important to make sure your body doesn't lose any vitamin stores as baby grows and developes. 

I hope this helps!  And please don't hesitate to ask any other questions!!  

~Shannon

Paula622
on 10/16/11 10:59 am
First off, weight loss can really jump start fertility for LOTS of women.  Just because you've tried for 6 years, doesn't mean you can't get pregnant right now, so be careful.  Sounds like your cycle is adjusting and you'll probably have a much easier time getting pregnant when you're ready to try.  9 weeks out is VERY early to be thinking about pregnancy. 

That being said, when I was 6 months out from sleeve, I was almost at goal weight, all my labs were great, and I was able to eat frequently enough to manipulate my calories to provide the extras I'd need if I were to get pregnant.  My husband and I decided to go off birth control and just let nature decide when it was time... about a minute later I was pregnant.  I've had a very easy pregnancy!  Neither my OB or my surgeon have had any sleeve related concern and I've had no trouble getting enough calories or fluids.  Since we don't have any malabsorbtion issues, I don't have to take any crazy vitamin routines or go out of my way to get the nutrients my baby needs.  I've gained about 16 lbs so far with just over 3 weeks till my due date.  I'll be sure to update on the weight loss aspect after the baby arrives. 

As far as timing your pregnancy goes, it is very individual.  Most surgeons will say 12- 24 months, but there are a lot of factors to consider.   Some things to consider would be...
Can you eat enough calories?
Are you able to tolerate carbs?
Do you get all of your protein and fluids in daily?
Are you at or near goal weight?
Are your vitamin levels where they need to be?

These are just some of the things to help determine when it is safe for you to think about TTC.  Of course, it is always important to talk to your surgeon and OB as well!  Good luck with your weight loss and with getting pregnant when the time is right.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

tuckergirl
on 10/16/11 12:42 pm - Canada
CONGRATS Paula!!

and your post gave me the questions i need to consider - i soo appreciate that!

and i agree - really need to talk to my surgeon about it and see if he thinks i should wait past 6 months alos.

i'm 20lbs away from my goal...so hoping i could lose that in the next 6 months.

Lexa321
on 10/16/11 11:06 am - weston, FL
exactly what paula said!... wait.. you want to be at your healthiest when pregnant.. let your body recovery from the massive trauma it just went thru... weight gain will happen... it part of pregnancy... i just had my 3rd post op baby 3 weeks ago tommorrow.... i dont know where i am on the weight issue.. i refuse to weigh until my 6 week check up... my son- i gained 25 lbs... my 1st daughter -9 lbs.. my last daughter- 0....
tuckergirl
on 10/16/11 12:46 pm - Canada
i keep forgetting the "trauma" part because i feel SOOO good!
it's such a good reminder to think about what i've been through.

though i hope i am like you and i only gain 9!!! :)

hockeybabe2u
on 10/16/11 11:30 am - Allegan, MI
Paula made some great points! Remember that most woman become very fertile after having weight loss surgery and it often takes away their PCOS. I highly suggest you wait at least the 12-18 months that are recommended for your body to heal and loose the excess weight! It's very common to be scared about gaining the weight back and chances are you will gain weight during your pregnancy. That don't mean you wont be able to loose the weight once the baby is born! It's also common to find you can eat more food and tolerate more types of food while pregnant. This doesn't mean your pouch don't work or wont return to where it was before. With my last pregnancy, I was only 8lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight at my 6 week check-up, but continued to gain another 12 pounds over the next 1.5 years....mainly due to not paying attention to what I was eating. I got strict with myself and lost the additional weight before getting pregnant with this baby. With my last pregnancy I gained 30-35lbs and so far with this one I've gained around 40. I know it wont be easy to loose all that weight, but definately doable! Best of luck to you!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1256 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 867 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1333 views