feed back please..preg after 6months post op

dropnthemlbs
on 6/20/11 1:26 pm

I'd like to start by saying please forgive me ahead of time for my stupid questions..I am a bit confused and need a little clarification/feed back
Here is some basic info about me SW 231 CW 156 I take all my daily vitamins protien and water..and yes i am still loosing weight apprx 8 lbs a month..I  had gastric bypass surgery on 12-7-2010 so I am approx 61/2 months post op gastric bypass
There is a possibility that I could be pregnant, I am trying not to worry, but I rather think ahead and educate myself on the matter...
A lot of posts and doctors have reccomended waiting 12-18 months post op before trying to concieve and I have also heard that often times pregnancy after post op surg may be less complications then pregnancy as being obese/pre op..so here are a few of my questions..

Has anyone experienced getting preg 6 months or less post op? If so how was the experience/health of you and the baby?

Are there any ways to help with the malopsortion factor ( ex: eating more freq throughout the day/water/vitamins etc?

What ares are some of the risk factors/ to either a fetus or myself?

Thank you for your advice

Hollywog
on 6/21/11 5:13 am
Has anyone experienced getting preg 6 months or less post op? If so how was the experience/health of you and the baby?

I'm only speaking from what I've seen on the boards here...yes, there are (too many) women on the board who got pregnant early out.  The majority of them do go on to have healthy babies...but there there have been women who end up with malnourishment and or low vits (iron and D seem to be the most common).  Some of them endup having to have iron infusions later on.  I'm not trying to sound judgmental, but just to answer your questions...but the drs tell you not to get pregnant for a reason.  You've just gone through a major surgery and it takes your body that 12-18 months to 'recover' from the surgery, and to give you the most amount of time to lose your weight before getting pregnant.  Some early out women have a hard time eating as much as they should, they have trouble with their blood sugars being stable (as in going low, also...not just high as in gestational diabetes).

Are there any ways to help with the malopsortion factor ( ex: eating more freq throughout the day/water/vitamins etc?

Eating more frequently throughout the day, increasing your water and monitoring your vits closely can aleviate the problems you could face...but there's no guarantee it'll help.  As I said above,your body's still going through a major adjustment...it's having a big enough adjustment to that...to add a pregnancy into the mix isn't easy.  It's doable...but not easy and not recommended.  The most important thing - besides monitoring your vits - is to ensure you are not in ketosis.  You have to add carbs (good ones) back into your diet ASAP if you're pregnant.  Ketones in your blood can cause brain damage in the child.  Stay out of ketosis if you find out - or strongly suspect - that you're pregnant until you can confirm it.

What ares are some of the risk factors/ to either a fetus or myself?

As mentioned above, risks to yourself are malnourishment and low vits.  You could end up having to have iron infusions, getting rickets (due to low Vit D), and whatever side effects from low vits.  Worst case scenario for your baby is if you cannot get in enough food - I'm not trying to scare you, just telling it like it is - is that you could lose the baby.  This is NOT common...but it can, God forbid, happen.  More likely though, the pregnancy would be harder on you...you would be deficient, but the baby would be OK.  The baby will get what s/he needs before you do...so if you're already deficient in something and got pregnant, the baby wouldn't have any take take from you...but if you were borderline, the baby would get what was there and you get nothing.

I hope this helps.  Honestly, for your sake, I hope you're not pregnant right now.  If you find out you're not...please double up on precautions and give your surgery the chance to do its work and get your body to the healthiest place it can be before TTC.  Be aware that RNY causes malabsorption, whi*****ludes birth control pills...so you need to use condoms or some other method until you're ready to TTC.  If you are pregnant...I hope no one 'beats you over the head' for it (ie I hope they're not nasty to you)...but be prepared for them to let you know it's not the optimum thing for you and your body or a baby right now...but you will get support here from many of the women who've been-there-done-that.  The vast majority of the women on this board are awesome at answering questions and giving support when needed...and giving a kick in the ass when needed....so feel free to post as you feel the need.  Welcome, good luck and best wishes.

Holly
 January 2008, 
               July 2008
               December 2008  
               July 2009
               September 2010
               July 2011

Mom to Khaled

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1258 views