Will I know if my water breaks??

biggeekgirl
on 5/13/09 6:36 am
I know....seems like a stupid question. I mean I always envisioned walking through the grocery store and suddenly feeling a POP like a water balloon and then standing in a puddle surrounded by people yelling "Boil some water and get some clean clothes!". 

But babygaga.com says only 10% of women get a big "GUSH" of water like they show on movies and TV.  The majority have slow leaks.....

With all these contractions the last couple of days I have been very conscious of discharge, etc and I am (sorry for the TMI) "wetter" down there.  Might be bladder leaking from all the liquids I am drinking..... but will I know if it's something more??? 

Thanks in advance!

Cindy

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

SHANNYN B.
on 5/13/09 6:44 am
With an experience in my water breaking on its own and being broken I definately knew. I dont know that it was a HUGE gush but more like I peed myself and then it was a slow leak. Nothing like I have seem on tv though. I know we are all different though! Anytime you are not sure you can get them to check though. It can cause infection if its broken and you are doing everything normal.
Damayin 12-3-93
Jarrid 10-12-98
Hayvann 11-22-09
Kerstyn 4-2-11
Kinzy 4-2-11

nanpet
on 5/13/09 7:10 am - Brampton, Canada
Mine was aslow leak.  Best get it checked to avoid surprises.  How far ar you?
Nancy PMy Angel is Darlene (Dardar)
Start 281,  Start Optifast 257, 
SW 242, 
Current 151
39 lbs lost pre surg.

Mandy_
on 5/13/09 7:14 am - cincinnati, OH
my water has never broken on its own.

if you soak a pad, def. get checked out.

if you aren't sure, get checked out.  they'll do a quick swab and know.

Mandy, Mom to Jordan (5), Kaida (3) and Luken (born 12/5/09) Army wife!   HW:351 / SW: 328 / CW:149/ Goal weight...what is that?

Lilypie - (Q3jk)

Tricia K.
on 5/13/09 7:20 am - LA

I can only tell you my own personal experience...but, the day before I gave birth, I thought I was leaking amniotic fluid so I was admitted to labor & delivery. After a series of tests (litmus paper & fern), the nurses concluded that I must have just been "peeing myself" and I was discharged that evening.

Fast forward a few hours later to 4am the next morning...I was abruptly awoken by a HUGE gush of liquid between my legs. Yes, my water broke. There was NO denying it. There was amniotic fluid everywhere. I got up to go to the bathroom and it was still gushing out of me. I had to sit on several towels on the way to the hospital because it was still gushing. Even after being admitted to the hospital, the nurses were shocked at how much more amniotic fluid was still in my uterus. Everytime they checked to see if I was dialated, more would come out. I know...TMI.

It's too bad those same nurses weren't at the hospital because I would have told them a big, fat "TOLD YOU SO!" *giggle*

So...if you think you might be leaking amniotic fluid, call your OB/GYN and see if he/she wants you to be admitted to labor & delivery.

Kelly T.
on 5/13/09 7:23 am - Yucaipa, CA
Hey there!  When my water broke with my first son I wasn't sure if it was my water or I was peeing on myself.  However, as it continued to dribble down my leg I figured my water had broken.  I had to sit on a towel and actually had to walk into the hospital with a towel between my legs.  Everytime the baby moved on the way to the hospital, a gush of water would come out.  My husband thought I was just peeing all over myself since my son was 2 1/2 weeks early.

I had called my sister in law and she told me to smell it.  I did and there was no smell so she told me to get to the hospital. 

Hope this helps!

mumuvtwogrlz
on 5/13/09 7:25 am - Oshawa, Canada
I bought tena pads because I was wet all of the time. That was a Friday!
Saturday morning at 4am My water burst! GUSH! lol!
I got out of bed and said to my hubby... I guess the pads didnt work lol!

My water broke at home with a gush both times!

Lilypie - (y7YD) Lilypie - (NAAZ)
   Tatum is 5 years old             Kendall is 7 years old
Born on April 30th 2006        Born on July 31st 2004

Shari M.
on 5/13/09 7:32 am - Wildomar, CA
I am pretty sure I had a slow leak, as I felt wetter too. I think I leaked for a couple of days and then my water broke, and that was unmistakable. They have a simple test they can do to see if it is amniotic fluid, why don't you ask to be checked just in case. Good luck. Shari
Photobucket Photobucket  Micah 18 months, Emma 3

Rebecca S.
on 5/13/09 8:47 am - Platteville, WI
RNY on 12/14/04 with
I woke up at 12:15Am to go to the bathroom and as soon as I got up out of bed I felt a small gush....I went to the bathroom and wiped really well....I wasn't sure if that was what it was...at first so I went to lay back down and it happened again.  I poked my husband next to me and whispered "I think my water just broke"  LOL!  He was like are you sure....well no, but pretty sure!  I jumped into the shower real quick before we left and I have to have several towels between my legs.  By the time we got to the hospital I could barely walk because it kept coming.  You will know!  I avoided Wal-Mart or any store if at all possible...I wasn't going to be the pregnant woman that went into labor there!  LOL!

Becca laugh-9/2007laugh-10/2012 (Forever in our !)

Lilypie - (pVjW)Lilypie - (Trlr)

VintageQueen
on 5/13/09 10:04 am - Thornton, CO
Yes, definitely! And no, absolutely not! Or, quite possibly, maybe...

My water broke, huge gush, and when I moved more came flowing out... but just like all the comments before me, plenty get a slow leak, and lots of women don't have their water break naturally at all. Some women even hear a loud popping noise when it happens!

When I got to the hospital with DD, 12, my water had broken hours before, but she had shifted. They thought my water wasn't broken, so they used the amni-hook... and the kid came out with a scratch 2" across her head! LOL, she's fine, of course!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1261 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 869 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1337 views