TT on Thursday!...Recouping after?

dentedsmile
on 1/31/17 4:36 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/28/14

Morning all!

So my TT is Thursday morning...WEWT!

I've got all the necessities I need for after....then i talk to my mom (she had a caesarian after my sister) who is now freaking me out about pain after...I'd set it up so I have my next door neighbour (in an Apt. building) can come check on me to get me to eat on time, help me up when i need to go pee, etc. while my BF is at work. Cool. My mom is telling me I'll be in such excruciating pain that simply having someone next door who can come help me isn't enough and that I need someone physically IN the apartment with me...she's telling me i'm stupid and should just come to the house....but my parents house is always super stressful because there's always a lot of commotion and yelling every which way. SO my question is ....anyone who's had the TT done (i'm getting an inverted T tuck that will go 3/4 the way UP my tum) would you agree with my mom that having someone physically IN the apartment is better than next door for the 7 or so hours my BF is gone?

Also it's a 1 floor walk up....how hard will that 1 flight of stairs be? lol.

All advice is greatly appreciated :)

Referral sent- July 2013 Orientation TWH- July 2, 2014 Social Worker- July 17, 2014 Nurse Practitioner-July 25, 2014 Psychologist - July 28, 2014 Nutrition Class- July 29, 2014  Dietician - July 30, 2014 Nurse Prac. Follow-up (Stress Test) - August 7, 2014 Meet Surgeon (Dr. Ori Rotstein)- September 26, 2014 Pre-op Testing - October 20, 2014 Surgery Date -OCTOBER 28, 2014  

emelar
on 1/31/17 10:17 am - TX

I had a lower body lift and went home by myself.  I couldn't do anything FAST, but I could function.

The incision is numb.  If you have muscle repair, it will hurt.  How much just depends.  If you have a recliner, it will probably be the most comfortable place to recover, although I just used many, many pillows in bed.

Stairs won't be problem.  The big issue is moving from down to up position, or up to down.  You just don't realize how much you use your abdominal muscles!

If you don't have a grabber/reaching tool, get one.  I was dropping things all over, and trying to bend over hurt like the dickens.

grayC
on 1/31/17 11:13 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I had an LBL, BL AND ARM LIFT

at the same time..

I walked SUPER SLOW, and couldn't stand upright for a long time

but stairs weren't a problem for me, and I was sore but not in terrible pain..

hope this puts your mind at ease...a little.

Luvmygs
on 1/31/17 12:25 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I had my TT in November and I was not in excruciating pain. Yes, I was sore and I was able to get around by myself. I slept in a recliner for 3 weeks, so I didn't have to get up and down from my bed. Your surgeon will give you some meds for pain that work wonderful. I also was given a nice snug wrap that went around my entire stomach area that secured everything nicely. I had no problem getting up and down from the toilet. Now stairs, I wasn't able to do stairs for almost 6 weeks. You might want to mention this to your doctor. I'll be 11 weeks post op on Friday and I'm still not 100%. I still feel a little tugging and a bit sore in my new belly button. This last Sunday was the first day I was able to put on a pair of jeans. I've been wearing leggings all this time. You'll do fine, just take your medication. You'll be more sore from your stomach than your incision. 

dentedsmile
on 1/31/17 12:33 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/28/14

Ok, thanks for the info Luv, I was actually kind of worried about external pain being worse than internal....I could handle the internal just fine but when it comes to external I tend to over worry and sort of psych myself out you could say. I feel much better now though. :)  thanks!

Referral sent- July 2013 Orientation TWH- July 2, 2014 Social Worker- July 17, 2014 Nurse Practitioner-July 25, 2014 Psychologist - July 28, 2014 Nutrition Class- July 29, 2014  Dietician - July 30, 2014 Nurse Prac. Follow-up (Stress Test) - August 7, 2014 Meet Surgeon (Dr. Ori Rotstein)- September 26, 2014 Pre-op Testing - October 20, 2014 Surgery Date -OCTOBER 28, 2014  

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/31/17 3:05 pm, edited 1/31/17 7:14 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had a TT 3 weeks ago tomorrow. For the first week, I spent the days on the couch and nights in bed with a foam wedge pillow behind me.  I had no problem with stairs though I was very bent over - the bathroom was no problem either (except for having my first bowel movement which took 6 days). I started working part-time from home sitting at a desk at one week. The pain was never that bad and I didn't take any opioids after one day (just ibuprofen). At a little over 2 weeks I started wearing jeans.  I can lie flat now in bed with just a small pillow under my knees (and have been sleeping on my side for a week). There is no pain now, just tightness and numbness.

I could have managed with prepared foods in my fridge that I just had to microwave and no constant help.  It was less difficult than I expected.  I had no liposuction but did have muscle tightening. I also had a facelift at the same time and that was more painful.

Edited to Add:  the one time I needed help was getting the compression garment back on after the shower.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Luvmygs
on 2/1/17 12:28 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I forgot to mention about the pill under the knees! That was the only way I could sleep on my bed.

Leslie W.
on 1/31/17 5:45 pm - Cobourg, Canada

I slept in bed with lots of pillows. The hardest was sitting on toilet. You don't realize how many muscles you use to pee.  Get a high toilet seat, bars for toilet. I managed on my own

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Djmohr
on 1/31/17 7:10 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

I had a full abdominalplasty, breast lift and augmentation 11 days ago. I chose to pay the extra 500 and stay in the hospital simply for someone to be with me and pain control. There were several times the first night where i wished i would have gone home just because the nurses were so busy that they could not get to me. They kept me on IV dilaudid that I could have every hour, but nurses were so busy that i layed there in pain for up to 5 hours with no pain relief. My surgeon was pissed when she heard. The next day i asked to be put on oral meds, they take longer to work but they last longer.

The thing about the bathroom is important because you are given fluids all day. At first it took two nurses who literally lifted me off the bed so i would not use stomach muscles. That first night was rough because no sooner would i get back into bed, pain meds on board, ice in all the right places and i would have to pee again. What's worse is you have to pee but it is very difficult when your pain is so bad so i would sit there for a long time. Then back to bed and you start all over again.

I had several open tummy surgeries in the past so i knew what to expect. I did not think the pain was as bad as i thought it could be but it was rough.

You need help with you at least the first night or two.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/1/17 3:19 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I agree definitely on needing someone at least one night or two especially if you don't stay overnight in the hospital. I also paid extra to stay one night and there is NO WAY I could have gone home.  Luckily my nursing staff was very attentive and helpful.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active